plastic identification

ice man

I posted this on the Reatta Owners web site, but decided to post it here too. Can anyone tell me for sure what type of plastic the air filter box is made of on a '90 Reatta? A part of mine is broken and I would like to try to repair it or bond it , before dishing out $$$$ for a used one. I tried MEK and acetone but neither had any reaction to the plastic. Has anyone repaired these exotic plastics with any success??

Tom

It's a common part that seldom breaks and there should be plenty around. I agree, Jim can probably put you in a very good used one for just a little down and a little a month.

I decided to see if a fix of the air box was in order. Happened to be at the neighbors, and he was throwing some automotive plastic pieces away. I took what appeared to be similar appearing plastic and cut thin strips of it. Took an old style soldering iron like wood burners use, and fused the broken piece back on. It appears to be quite solidly fused. As soon as I start reassembly I'll find out how well it holds. I also needed the rubber attachment fittings that hold the brackets. I was told there called well nuts. Went to the dealer but they were old items, but they could obrain them thru their vintage vendor, the cost was $20.00 each. Yea, not a typo. Desided against that. Happened to be in Lowes, and found the same thing in the hardware dept. and they were .97 cents. No wonder our hobby is taking such a hit! Hope this helps others looking for well nuts.

Tom