soda or sand blasting

papafarms

Hi guys, need some help from you all, have finally got down to my 40 buick frame, what is the best way to go , sand or soda blasting, also i have a 40 coupe convertible that did not have the back interior in it, was there any cigarette ash trays for the back seat, if so let me know, and lastly what days are the part flea market at the buick national thanks , any help will be appreciated on any of this ...............Bob#43062

I use 000 black beauty on frames. It is very aggresive and does not take much time and will not destroy a frame.

Prime and paint it the same or next day for best results. I use Dupont DTM (Direct to metal) primer and Industrial Imron finish.

The industrial is thicker and cheaper than the automotive line and fills great with one coat. (I use two or three and get a nice hard and smooth surface. One coat drys within one day but three coats take up to 4 or 5 days to handle but well worth it.

Soda and sand are like apples and oranges. Sand will remove paint, and rust. If the frame is solid at all sand will give you great results. Soda would be your choice if it has paint or undercoating on it. The soda will NOT touch rust. We are lucky to have a local shop that specializes in both. Each one has a certain sweet spot when used right.

Guest windjamer

I also used black beauty and done the compleat car. I removed all the glass and anything that could be taken off so I had only a body and frame. Frame off. Body shop then sprayed a metel etching ? paint on everything and then sprayed two coats of I think it was called dp90. This was in 96.car sat under cover but outside until 2005 when it was primed painted and rejoined to frame. Five years now and not a speck of rust or bubble. I am still finding specks of black beauty every time I vacume:D

Guest windjamer
:) I rented a comercial compressor and sand blaster and used ten bags of the black beauty.I used Capt Black?? striper for the hood and trunk lid,my frend that done all the actual paint work suppervised me and said blasting the lids might cause them to warp.I wish i had dated the pics.they would have been a great testimonial for dp 90. I would need to check my notes but I know the body shell sat in the back yard at least 6 maby 7 years with no more than a canvas tarp covering it befor the final paint was done. That says a lot for dp90.

Here is a link to the Epoxy Primer and HB Primers I used on my car.

http://southernpolyurethanes.com/Pricing%20Info.htm

If you have any question or need help with anything related to painting Barry the owner is only a phone call away. I had called him once when I was stuck on setting up my gun to spray my SS paint.

FYI,

DO NOT SODA BLAST if using SPI Expoy. They state it I believe right in their product/tech sheets.