New Judges Item

Guest windjamer

:)Needs a flip-up cover to protect the score sheet from the weather and prying eyes.:DOn a simular subject,why is it s ****ing hard to judge from the car to the sheet? Team I judged with at New Bern was so professional I had to tell them how much I enjoyed working with them. I have only 15 points,but they where the BEST I have ever judged with. They never evan opened the sheet untill we walked away from the vech.THEN we marked deductions.:D

:)Needs a flip-up cover to protect the score sheet from the weather and prying eyes.:

windjamer, the flip-up cover is an EXCELLENT suggestion. I judged at a non-AACA event last Sunday. A flip-up cover on the clipboard I used would have went a long way to protect the score sheets from the DOWNPOUR of rain I got soaked with while judging.

Hopefully once the current inventory of of these clip boards is sold out, the next version can incorporate the flip-up cover.

I think it is ex98thdrill that has one that is metal and has the flip-up lid. It is sturdy enough to kneel on for judging chassis. Once upon a time I think he posted where he got it from.

I have a plastic one that has the latching lid and storage for the sheets in case of bad weather. I think I found it at someplace like WalMart or Kmart.

wj, It will become easier to look at the vehicle and then mark deductions.

What I, and others I have spoken to about it, find difficult at times is making sure to get the deductions on the correct line in the correct column when you get out to the end of the forms for the four areas. I have a clipboard with a ruler on it but it is set the wrong way and can't be used the way the forms are set up.

Guest windjamer

:)Guess I wasnt to plane on that Susan,I learned on day one, what I ment to say was it drives me nuts to watch someone judge with a clip board in one hand and a pen in the outher.

:)Guess I wasnt to plane on that Susan,I learned on day one, what I ment to say was it drives me nuts to watch someone judge with a clip board in one hand and a pen in the outher.

Ah, okay. It came across the other way. Lots of folks to tend to judge from the sheet at first to make sure they don't miss anything on the list. :) Then with time and experience that changes to looking at the vehicle and then going somewhere more private to mark any deductions that they found.

I think it is ex98thdrill that has one that is metal and has the flip-up lid. It is sturdy enough to kneel on for judging chassis. Once upon a time I think he posted where he got it from.

Sounds like the log book item that you can find in any major truck stop. I've seen highway patrol guys with a similar item.

Wayne

We went with the inexpensive clipboard first as people have asked for this item as a replacement for ones they have left at home. Besides it never rains at AACA meets don't you guys know that??

The metal clipboards are very familiar to me as they were used by all my service staff at the Olds store. Not cheap. I will look into offering a covered version as one of our board asked if we could get one with an umbrella attached! Apparently soggy ink smeared scored sheets are a problem? Who would have thunk!!!

Here is a picture of what you guys are talking about but they are defintely not cheap!

post-30866-143138234596_thumb.jpg

Edited by Steve Moskowitz (see edit history)

Susan, I know why Pat has one. It is the same reason I have one.

The metal clip boards have been used by law enforcement officers for decades. They allow you to keep all of your forms together and allow one citation to be written without bleeding through onto the next carbonless citation form. I actually remember when carbon paper was one of the things you kept in the back compartment of the clip board.

With computer written traffic citation systems and computerized report writing systems, I have not used an old fashioned police clipboard in quite a few years. I actually just found mine this week as I was cleaning all of my equipment out of my police car in preparation for turning the car in upon my retirement next week.

Who knows, I may have to start using mine for judging...

Instead of all metal so there is even more to be careful with while judging I think plastic or wood is best I use a wood clip board that has a patent date of something like 1889 on it that I bought for a dime about 40 years ago at a garage sale. I still have to be careful but it only has the metal clip. For weather protection I take a clear plastic bag approximately 10X12", slide the paper work inside and clip on board with the open end down. Now just reach inside to make notations.

My back up, which my wife swiped to keep track of sales in the flea market area, and I only get back on really bad judging days is a padded fold over clip board. Works great as a knee pad when doing chassis in wet weather or on asphalt. It was a couple of dollars at walley World a few years ago.

Jim, I use a plastic clipboard and like you have a large Zip-Lock bag that I can use in wet weather to protect the paperwork.

If you can't get your back-up clip board back from your wife :rolleyes:, one of the thin neoprene mouse pads makes a great item to kneel on to look at chassis. It will roll up and fits nicely into a hip pocket. :)

I got my metal clip board like in the picture from a police supply or Security supply company. You can find them on the internet and you don't have to be in the business to order this kind of item. It works perfectly allowing the score sheet outside and inside you can store the rule book, extra pencils and pens and other sheets etc. Really good to put down on the ground to kneal on too.

Susan, I know why Pat has one. It is the same reason I have one.

The metal clip boards have been used by law enforcement officers for decades. They allow you to keep all of your forms together and allow one citation to be written without bleeding through onto the next carbonless citation form. I actually remember when carbon paper was one of the things you kept in the back compartment of the clip board.

With computer written traffic citation systems and computerized report writing systems, I have not used an old fashioned police clipboard in quite a few years. I actually just found mine this week as I was cleaning all of my equipment out of my police car in preparation for turning the car in upon my retirement next week.

Who knows, I may have to start using mine for judging...

BINGO!!!

Hey guys, I'm not trying to steer you guys away from supporting AACA, but the best place to buy those is Gall's. I think their website is www.galls.com and you can order them.

Steve, if you want to look at my clipboard, you can grab the manufacturers name off of it and go direct. I'll have it in Louisville.

I remember back in 2005 when it was raining quite badly when my Team Captain (Ed Peterson) took my clipboard and held on to all of the judging team's paperwork.

Those clipboards are great for keeping your Judges guidelines, CJE Material and chips. If I'm judging and get stuck with a car I have my rulebook and CJE material so that I can get to it and review it in a pinch.

From a professional standpoint, if someone starts rushing you you can whack 'em with the clipboard with your weak hand while you go for pepper spray and/or gun with your strong hand if necessary.:eek::eek::D:D

Pat, you don't have to wait until they are close enough to "whack'em"... You can throw the clipboard at them and thus distract them while you reach for your weapon of choice.:D:D:D

Guest Siegfried

Golly Gee, Quess i just migt have to get me one of these when I judge again, health amd stamina permitting, of course. Many thanks for providing them.

• 2 weeks later...