Vinyl letters on trailer

I just bought a new to me ride for the '13 and I have a question. The trailer was a race car trailer and has vinyl lettering on it. How do you remove it? We tried pulling it off last night with some success but it will be a long day to get it all off that way!

What is the glue that holds it on? Will something like vinegar loosen it up? (I am thinking wallpaper here). Any help would be appreciated, poor little Stude has already said she doesn't drive for Vail Motorsports!

Thanks- Bill

David's advice on warming with a hair dryer is good. If there is any residual adhesive left on the painted surface, I would use 3M™ General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner, 08984. If you are carefull with it it will not damage the paint on the trailer and does an excellent job of removing the adhesive.

Bob

A hairdryer will help, or position the trailer so that the vinyl is warmed up by the sun, that way the heat stays on the vinyl while you are working on it.

There is a product called Goof Off and it works well for removing adhesives. It was recommended to us for use on the vinyl wallpaper in our RV for some spots of adhesive that somehow got on the wallpaper where it should not have been.

Be aware that you may still be able to see the original lettering from sun aging of the trailer siding.

You may have to reletter it with some of your own ideas as a mass covering to hide the old lettering. Even the AACA Logo from Headquarters comes in sizes big enough to cover it, probably lots cheaper too!

Wayne

Thank you to David and others who suggested a hair dryer. I have a commercial heat gun used in manufacturing and I took it out this PM. With a little trial and error I had all the vinyl off in about two hours, it worked great!

Now I will get into the adhesive removal and a good cleaning of the trailer. Unfortunately I feel Wayne is going to be right too. The original white under the vinyl is very bright and clean and will stand out no matter how hard I try to bring the rest back. We will see.....

Thanks to all, I'll keep you posted- Bill

Just me again.... I was just wondering- what if I used acetone to get the glue off the trailer?

- Bill

Acetone is rather harash compared to things like Goof Off and Goo Gone. We used the Goof Off on the vinyl wallpaper in our RV and it did the job without any damage at all to the vinyl. Think about it, women use acetone to take nail polish off which is much harder to remove than some adhesive. I would try something less aggressive to start with and see if it works.

Actually I went and bought Krud Kutter last nite but realized on the way home it very similar to Simply Green, another citrus based cleaner that I love to use. So I will try the SG first, maybe scrub the whole trailer with it to see how white I can go! If no luck I will try the KK and work my way up. Anyone got any extra elbow grease they want to use up?

Worst case- I'll paint the whole thing red/silver to match my F250 tow vehicle! Then put decals on for the next poor bas@*&)% !!

- Bill