DO I HAVE A FAST FOUR ?

Hello gentlemen...well I did it again...I did everything I could do to walk away from this car...but I was a failure...soooo I"m the proud owner of a 1926 dodge 4 door sedan 4cly ID # A697600 motor ID#B770-030 and I have a few ? Is this a fast four motor....will a reg 4 cly interchange...the motor is apart....cly are honed and measure 3.900..the pistons measure 3.870 can I use oversize rings [ what size ] and put this motor together ? thanks for any advice on this car

Guest cben09

The block has been bored .030 ,,,and honed,,You will need to fit +.030 pistons,,I assume its the old pistons you have??? Usual clearance would be around .005,depending on the piston,,,and it would seem you have .030 clearance,,I think .010 clearance would a bit loose,, Check the taper top to bottom,,,AND the oval of the skirt,,Pistons are not round annymore,,did I leave my coffee over there,,Cheers ,Ben

The block has been bored .030 ,,,and honed,,You will need to fit +.030 pistons,,I assume its the old pistons you have??? Usual clearance would be around .005,depending on the piston,,,and it would seem you have .030 clearance,,I think .010 clearance would a bit loose,, Check the taper top to bottom,,,AND the oval of the skirt,,Pistons are not round annymore,,did I leave my coffee over there,,Cheers ,Ben

YES BEN I think you are right.....the motor is in the car with the head and oil pan off...but I didn't take it off...I'm taking over somebody elses project...which makes it hard because I didn't take it apart and I have never worked on anything this old....my book says the piston should hold its self in the bore but mine just drops to the bottom....is that my pint over there CHEERS thanks BEN

Guest cben09

Somehow I am suspicious,,,they would need a Quick-way,boring bar w/the sucker-outer,vacuum attachment to keep the cutter chips from getting in the oil an' goo in the lower case,,so the work was done a good wile ago???// Ok,,no mike,,,plan b,,put various feeler blades on the bore and then insert piston,,and feel the drag,,use thin blades as they will curve with the bore,,,its a judgement call but you will be able to get the feel and get the clearance this way,,,insert the piston upside down so you are measuring the skirt clearance,,,Hope this makes sense,,,Will you be driving around town only,,,or further trips,,xxxx The fast 4 had alloy pistons and 5 main bearings,,,I am NOT expert on the models,,I just ownd one back when I was 11yo,,I t was my first car,,paid 60 cents for it,,we haggled a bit,,Pulled shims on rods and mains,,ground valves,,new rings etc,,and drove 300+ miles around the farm /summer I was 12,,As I recall they had a real good carburetor,,,Good luck,,oh that was a long mornin,,[on my end],,,Ben

If your DB is a 1926, you would not have a fast four, the fast four has the distributor through the head. If you have the starter/gen combo, you have an early 1926 with 12 volt system, the seperate starter/generator would mean you have a late 1926 with 6 volt system. Hope this info helps.

Somehow I am suspicious,,,they would need a Quick-way,boring bar w/the sucker-outer,vacuum attachment to keep the cutter chips from getting in the oil an' goo in the lower case,,so the work was done a good wile ago???// Ok,,no mike,,,plan b,,put various feeler blades on the bore and then insert piston,,and feel the drag,,use thin blades as they will curve with the bore,,,its a judgement call but you will be able to get the feel and get the clearance this way,,,insert the piston upside down so you are measuring the skirt clearance,,,Hope this makes sense,,,Will you be driving around town only,,,or further trips,,xxxx The fast 4 had alloy pistons and 5 main bearings,,,I am NOT expert on the models,,I just ownd one back when I was 11yo,,I t was my first car,,paid 60 cents for it,,we haggled a bit,,Pulled shims on rods and mains,,ground valves,,new rings etc,,and drove 300+ miles around the farm /summer I was 12,,As I recall they had a real good carburetor,,,Good luck,,oh that was a long mornin,,[on my end],,,Ben

BEN I have a sneaky suspicion that they just honed cly out to fit bigger pistons...yes the car has changed owners a few times...so nobody knows anything about it....yes BEN I just want to drive the car a couple times a year...I will use yout tech to measure bore.....my motor has only 3 main bearing....BEN I wish you were with me when I bought my car as I had to pay alot more than you...THANKS BEN

If your DB is a 1926, you would not have a fast four, the fast four has the distributor through the head. If you have the starter/gen combo, you have an early 1926 with 12 volt system, the seperate starter/generator would mean you have a late 1926 with 6 volt system. Hope this info helps.

YES GBOY I have seperate starter gen and 6 volt system and 3 main bearings so its not a fast four would it be 212 L head 126 series ? Is there any trick to pulling the motor out front wards without removing tranny...my book says you can do it.....but advices not to....THANKS GBOY

Guest cben09

Hi,,,Are the pistons iron or alloy,,,Are the rod caps on with the related shims,,,Invintory what you have,,will help to get a grip on the situation,,for now leave the engine in,,see what we can do for cheep ,and have fun,,Cheers,,Ben

Loose Nut, everybody has a machinist buddy. They are the nicest guys in town, ask me how I know. Have your favorite machinist measure the bores for you. I doubt that anyone JUST honed the cylinders out .030. If they did I'll bet the cylinders are not round. You need expert eyes and measurements before planning your attack.

I have pulled several engines, both 12 volt & 6 volt and they can be pulled without the transmission. To do this, you need to drop the oil pan and the top half front engine mount casting. Also remove tie rod from front axle, remove clutch and brake pedal and remove throw out bearing release fork, much of this is described in service book. Once engine bolts are removed, engine will come out without transmission.

BEN I have ally pistons and they are off the rods which has bearings and shims..the crank is in the motor. I have miked top bottom sieways of bore and came up with 3.899 to3.897 my book says stock bore is3.873 to 3.876 so I think I need 0.20 oversize pistons...does this all add up ? thank you all for your help