90' Convertible - Hasn't been started since '98

Guest RoadKingDave

Guest RoadKingDave

So I'm in Indy visiting my family and found my dad's '90 White convertible w/ 70k miles sitting in one of his garages. Car is perfect, but hasn't been started since '98 as he got bored with it and moved on to other cars (won't get rid of anything). I'm toying with trying to get it running and then sneak it out of the garage and back to Texas. :D

I'm guessing I need to drain the gas tank, but concerned if i should drop the tank and drain or just siphon. So now its time to ask the experts. What else should I do before trying to fire her up?

Thanks,

Dave

I'd change the oil and filter (including fuel and air filter).

Empty the gas tank and fill-er-up with new petrol (also flush the fuel line).

Change the spark plug cables (may not have to but I would).

Change the spark plugs, adding about three ounces of oil to each plug for lubrication.

Probably need a new battery.

Make sure all brake components are working properly (change the brake fluid).

Make sure the tires look good. I would think after 12 years, new shoes all around are necessary.

I don't think I missed anything. Start her up, let the engine idle for 10-15 minutes then take it around the block a few times. Then flush and fill the radiator (not sure why this shouldn't be done first. But two trusted mechanics say it should be done after the car has reached operating temperature after storage).

It is pretty hard to siphon out the gas but there is an easier way. On the left front fender well between the air box and the firewall you will see a green single wire connector with nothing plugged into it. Remove the fuel line at the fuel rail, attach a hose to it and then put 12V on that connector and the pump will pump all the gas out of the tank.

Recently I removed a gas tank from a parts car that I bought in Texas. The car had been sitting only about 6 years. The gas was a very yellow/brown color and stunk just terrible. I then removed the tank and sending unit so all the remaining gas would evaporate so I could ship the tank. The tank and sending unit are sitting in an open air shed and after 2 months it still smells as I walk by the shed.

I would like to modify Jims suggestion.

He was draining the tank only, not trying to get the car running.

I would remove the fuel filter, which on a convertible is under the car, in front of the drivers side rear tire. This way, all the crap in the tank will not go through the filter and the filter should be replaced anyway.

No but the crap will go through the pump which is not that strong and if you clog that, you will need to drop the tank anyway. Of course the gas gauge sender may be stuck (common) which puts you back at dropping the tank anyway.

With the plugs out I would squirt some Marvel Mystery Oil (MMO) or ATF in the hole and then crank until the oil pressure comes up a bit just to get everything wet before firing.

Also do not be surprised if a number of seals leak. This may or may not heal as the seals absorb oil and swell. I'd probably toss a quart of ATF (super high detergent 20 wt) in the oil for 100 very easy miles and then change. Also some Seafoam in the trans to free up anything that is stucky.

Have seen engines just start and run immediately after sitting for that long & have seen them carry on cranky for a while then clear up. A lot depends on how it was stored.

Good luck.

Guest RoadKingDave

Thanks for the help guys. Looks like I need to take my time and do this right so I don't screw it up more than it already is. I've decided to wait until I go back to Indy in a few months and see what I can do - that or load it up and bring it to sunny San Antonio. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions...