My 88 is messed up!

Guest TroyBoy

Guest TroyBoy

My daughter's '88 reatta is pretty messed up. She could not get the driver winder to roll up, it appears to be out of it's track. That's not the big problem, however. I managed to get the window all the way up, by using the switch and pulling on the window at the same time. When I did this, I must have blown a major fuse/cb/whatever, because I started it the next day and:

1. the IPC is blank except for the Service Engine Light, which is on (wasn't before)

2. the CRT is blank

3. there are no power brakes to speak of, I had to stomp on the pedal to get a little braking action.

I'm hoping this is all tied together somehow, and am going to look through the Service manual, but if anyone has any helpful suggestions please let me know. Any help would be appreciated!

Guest TroyBoy

Sheesh, I guess it fixed itself.

Went out again and started it up, everything worked perfectly, even had brakes again. No service engine light, everything lit up on the dash.

She has kind of a sticky ignition switch. When you turn it to crank, and let go once started, it doesn't seem to spring back like it should. Not enough that it keeps engaging the starter after the engine's running, but it doesn't feel right.

I think this problem might have been a result of the ignition switch being stuck between start and run? That's all I can think of that would effect the brakes, IPC, and CRT at the same time.

I'll cross my fingers. Now I still have to fix the window, but at least that's mechanical and not electrical!

I am pretty sure you are right about the key not being in the right place as all the things that went wrong are not related.

The problem with your window is most likely the plastic "T" that is bonded to the lower front of the window has broken off. This "T" cannot be glued back one but you must replace the window. That "T" holds the window into the track in the vent window frame. I would suggest you remove the door panel and look inside at the bottom of the window on both ends especially in the front. See if you can pull the bottom front of the window away from the vent window track.

I mention looking at the bottom at both ends so if you do find the "T has broken off you can get a replacement window. The early '88s had a different arrangement for fastening the bottom rear. You can tell whomever you get a window from what sort of attachment arrangement you have of the bottom. Early '88 or late '88.

I do have a window available.

I had to replace the driver's window on the white car because the track came loose from the window. Apparently the forces on the window are too high for glue to work.

Glad to hear the electrical part straightened out, they are all related in the key switch.