New Lifters Holding Valves Open

Guest Drivea55

Guest Drivea55

What to do - 1955 nailhead 322

I replaced the valves and springs, some rocker arms, some push rods and bought 16 new valve lifters.

After assembly, I had no compression and difficulty turning the engine with a breaker bar and socket on the front pulley nut. I pulled the rockers and now I have compression blowing out the spark plug holes and the engine turns very easy.

I took one of the new lifters out to compare to the old and sure enough, while they are the same length and diameter, the piston inside sits a good 1/8 in (by eye) higher in the new one.

Did they send me lifters for a 56 322? Do I need to spend giant bucks on lifters again or can I use later pushrods?

Any suggestions welcome.

Don A.

Guest Drivea55

Hey Rooster, thanks for the reply - good to know I'm not the only one, better yet, seeing your Roadmaster really cheered me up!

Why is she called Irene?

Don A.

You can use 56 pushrods to get the correct overall length and the engine will run. Ideally you should replace lifters and cam as set and in this case it is near mandatory. 53 54 55 used a steel cam and 56 used a cast cam and 56 lifters are not compatible with a steel cam. In my case the cam chewed the bottom of the lifters after 25,000 miles.

Also be sure that when the heads were redone that generic shims were not used under the outer valve springs and covering the recess for the inner valve springs....will result in severe valve bind.

Willie