Need help deciding on a compressor

Guest 53buickroadmaster

Guest 53buickroadmaster

I'm starting a restoration project and need to buy a compressor and am having a hard time deciding what to get. I would like the ability to sandblast/grind/sand/etc... I don't believe I'll be doing painting as this is just going to be in my home garage. I've read some advice that says you need a 5hp compressor with at least 20 cfm. That's quite a chunk of change for that type of compressor and I'm wondering if it is really necessary. What have you had success with? Thanks for the help!

Guest billybird

Air compressors are rated two ways: CFM@40PSI and CFM@90PSI. Different tools require different amounts of air. This requirement is always on the tool. I have a 3 1/2 H.P. 25 Gal. and a 6 1/2 H.P. 60 Gal. The gallon capacity of the tank is the amount of reserve air you have. I can paint fine with the 3 1/2 { conventional gun } but if I want to run a D.A. sander I have to fire up the 6 1/2 as it has more air reserve at 60 Gal. If you are able, go ahead and buy the largest Gal. CFM@40/90 and you"ll be able to do anything you want. I wish I had did that to start; thats why I have two.

Blasters and air tools are air hogs, if you want to use them continually without waiting for the compressor to catch up you need a two-stage unit with the biggest tank you can fit in your garage. You will also risk burning up a cheap compressor if you try to use it for items it is not rated for. And even though you think you are not going to paint, wouldn't it be better to have a high CFM unit that could handle an HVLP gun just in case? Spending more for the right one now is better than regretting buying the cheap one every time you fire it up.

Go to an air compressor sales and ask for a good used 5 Hp industrial compressor. Low RPM.

You will pay as much for it as a new handy Dandy one but it will be a better compressor and will last longer.

Don't even think about buying a 3600 RPM unit! Or one at the home depot rated at 5 Hp.

Handy Dandy Hp. rateings are figured at the peak Hp just before they burn up!

Check the Yellow Pages under Compressors Air and buy a commercial unit as large as you can afford and as large as your electric service will run. Down the road you will be glad you did, especially when it inevitably needs parts or service. Pumping air is hard work.

I bought an older 5 horse power, 80 gallon, I.R. T-30 unit for $500. It has a REAL 5 HP motor and turns the pump at only 500 rpm. It'll run anything in my shop all day long. Before I bought it I checked with a compressor distributor about parts and service. His remarks were parts are available and in a hobby type shop I couldn't live enough to wear it out.

His main advise was to place the unit near an outside wall and pipe in out side air with a filter on the outside............Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)

First - no oilless compressors - my experience with one lasted six days before the connecting arm broke in the compressor. three months later when the major chain hardware store had finished repairing it, It ran for a week then burned up the compressor cylinders. Buy as big as you can, listen to the advice given here and realize that between cleaning sandblasting ( or bead blasting in a tank) painting, dusting and cleaning off the floor after major projects, your compressor is one of the hardest working tools in the garage - and if you buy quality it will last. We built a shed roof covedr for the compressor (80 gal) off the side of the garage and pipe the air in PVC. twenty year s and still going strong. Installing a shutoff valve between the compressor and the garage allows me to shut down all the potential air leaks and keep the compressor full, this allows less run time for the compressor and cuts down on wear and tear.

I have a small pancake oiless compressor that I use with my air nailer,etc. Stuff that I need portability and not a lot of air. Other than that I have a large compressor that I use in the garage and I agree with the others to buy as much and as large as you have room for. I do not think you can have too much air.

I like a few pople have puchased on oil less compressor didn't last long. When I was looking for a new compressor I found out not all 5hp compressors are the same. The big chains sell what is a peak 5hp motor. I may be wrong but I believe peak hp is when it starts then settles back to less than 5hp. I found a true 5hp 60 gal at a very resonable price and it has helped me restore 2-1/2 cars with great performance and low maintenance.

:)

ED

Guest 53buickroadmaster

Thanks everyone for the advice. I appreciate the feedback. I keep coming back to the IR SS5L5. It is a 5hp, single stage, 60 gal, 18.1cfm@90psi. It is more along the lines of my budget and seems like it will be sufficient for the type of work I'll be doing. Does anyone have this one? I can't find anything on the rpm's for this model and I would like to know based on what some of you have said. Thanks again!

Thanks everyone for the advice. I appreciate the feedback. I keep coming back to the IR SS5L5. It is a 5hp, single stage, 60 gal, 18.1cfm@90psi. It is more along the lines of my budget and seems like it will be sufficient for the type of work I'll be doing. Does anyone have this one? I can't find anything on the rpm's for this model and I would like to know based on what some of you have said. Thanks again!

Google SS5L5 for lots of info. Looks like it's a hobby grade Devillbis rebadged as an IR. If I were you i would spend the Extra 400-500 bucks and buy an IR T-30 or other commercial grade compressor. Spread over the years you use it you'll be glad you did. it's only a few bucks extra a year.............Bob

Guest 53buickroadmaster
Google SS5L5 for lots of info. Looks like it's a hobby grade Devillbis rebadged as an IR. If I were you i would spend the Extra 400-500 bucks and buy an IR T-30 or other commercial grade compressor. Spread over the years you use it you'll be glad you did. it's only a few bucks extra a year.............Bob

Ok, now I see the T-30's and have also come across the Quincy's. They do look to be about $300 to $500 more but the specs, warranty and pump life rating are significantly better than the other. Thanks