1955 Bed Board Points

Guest cometqueen

Guest cometqueen

:confused: Another few questions before I start tearing my truck apart, I know that the bed boards top side need to be the color of the truck or flat black, but what about the underneath side of the boards? Color?

If I don't change the underside,is there a point deduction and how many if there is?

Also, the bolts that hold the running boards in place, chrome, stainless,black or the color of the truck?

If they are not politically correct what is the point deduction for that hardware or is there one? :confused: Thanks again for everyones help.

They are supposed to be how they were originally from the manufacturer. I don't know what that is, but if you figure out how the top of the boards are supposed to look, I would venture a guess that the bottom of the boards would need to be either the same, or they could have been left unpainted. It all depends on if they were painted or stained and assembled or if the boards were originally installed in the bed and then the bed was painted as a unit or on the truck.

Any component that is not as it was originally should cost you some points. It is virtually impossible to tell you exactly how many points. There are way too many variables to predict it from your description.

A little research on how these components were originally finished at the factory is the only way to do it right.

.....A little research on how these components were originally finished at the factory is the only way to do it right.

And a good place to start looking is the AACA Library and Research Center. And members get a hour and half of free research, if I remember correctly. And for a small fee copies can be made and sent and those copies will be accepted as documentation by Team Captains and judges.

http://www.aacalibrarycatalog.org/

Guest cometqueen

I am a little confused. How is it that a judge does not know how the boards were finished underneath? Would that not be part of the judging/points with the knowledge of the vehicle being judged? I really do not know if even the library would know this answer, but I am going to try to research. Not questioning the judges, but I have to tell you I am afraid of damage that may be casued but taking the entire bed apart again, paint etc. and the cost involved.

When you are looking at the 55 Ford F-100 and the running boards hardware, were they originally painted, stainless or chrome? Point deduction please. Again thanks.

Guest cometqueen

Don't think the free time applies any longer since the library want money to come with the request form,member or not. Wish I was a little closer to go there myself and start looking. Still is probably worth the cost.

Cometqueen,

I am not an expert on 1955 Ford Trucks. I can't tell you how the bed of your truck was originally assembled and/or finished. Factory photos or other documentation that you might find in some original literature would help answer the question.

For AACA Judging purposes this is the rule:

"Generally, wood bed floors in pickup trucks

along with associated steel skid strips

and hardware should either be painted

flat black or body color."

If you paint the boards and steel strips either flat black or body color, you will be OK for AACA Judging. I would still suggest that if it were my truck, I would research how it came originally and would duplicate what was done originally, instead of just taking a guess at which way Ford did the beds in 1955. While either way will get you past AACA judging, I expect that it would be worth the research for you to do it right, not just good enough for AACA Judging.

I am a little confused. How is it that a judge does not know how the boards were finished underneath? Would that not be part of the judging/points with the knowledge of the vehicle being judged?

Most of us here that are judges pretty much judge a certain group of classes, and while we don't know everything about every car in that class, we have a team of usually five that can figure it out. If all five of us are unsure the Team Captain goes to the owner for documentation of the questioned item(s). And it is the burden of the owner to have that documentation. I for one have not judged the class where your truck would be. You need to find a judge that is knowlegable about the truck you have. And you need to get the documentation to back up what you do.

I really do not know if even the library would know this answer, but I am going to try to research.

Proper research is the only way to know for sure. And what if the person you ask gives you the wrong answer? You need written proof in the event of a question.

Not questioning the judges, but I have to tell you I am afraid of damage that may be casued but taking the entire bed apart again, paint etc. and the cost involved.

I can well imagine that it would make you nervous. But if it is wrong, and you don't want to change it, but want to show the truck at AACA events, you might want to think about the DPC class.

When you are looking at the 55 Ford F-100 and the running boards hardware, were they originally painted, stainless or chrome? Point deduction please. Again thanks.

Okay, looking at the judging form for trucks this is what I found.

Bed (condition) up to ten points can be deducted for the condition it is in.

Floor (material/finish) is a mandatory ten points if the material/finish is incorrect.

Tailgate Up to a total of ten points.

Top (this is listed under Floor) up to 10 points.

The running boards are up to five each. It doesn't list the hardware separately from what I can tell.

Remember please I haven't judged trucks, I am just looking at the form. It can be found on page 57 of the on-line 2010 Official Judging Guidelines. You can look at the whole form and see what the deductions for areas are.

Edited by Shop Rat (see edit history)

Don't think the free time applies any longer since the library want money to come with the request form,member or not. Wish I was a little closer to go there myself and start looking. Still is probably worth the cost.

Here are the fees. Please note that current members are entitled to 1.5 hours of free research. It does look like everyone must pay the $10 Processing Fee.

http://www.aacalibrary.org/contact/request.aspx

If the rest of the truck is right you could just take your 10 pts for the floor and leave it alone. You need to be within 10 points of the highest scoring truck and above 365 for a first junior, and 375 for a Senior.

It is your truck and your decision, if you like it the way it is, leave it that way.