Reatta trunk does not lock

Guest mounthopewalt

Guest mounthopewalt

This morning I noticed that the trunk on my 1990 convertible will not stay locked. When I shut the trunk, the actuator multi fires and keeps the trunk unlocked. The actuator also fires intermittently, on it's own, whether the engine is running or not. This issue is not related to the remote or the key.

Is the actuator continuosly charged? If so, then it is probably faultly, and I will replace it. If not, where should I be looking for the short causing the actuator to act erratically? It rained last night. Could there be moisture in the lock causing this?

Could be the switch or wiring in the glovebox but sounds like something is telling the trunk to open.

Have noticed that when using a remote the trunk lock seems to fire several times. Since in more than one car it must be stock.

Guest Mc_Reatta

The solenoid is not always hot in a 90. Power is sent through relay A in the relay center beside the jack in the trunk.

Either the relay is sticking, or one of the 3 signals from the glove box switch, keyless entry, or trunk lock is telling the relay to close.

A little probing in the relay socket will reveal.

Did you recently wash your car or has it been out in the rain recently? Sometimes water leaking into the trunk compartment will trigger the lock relay making it cycle on and off. If water was the problem it should stop cycling when it thoroughly drys out. In the mean time you can get it to stop cycling by removing the relay. Pull back the trunk carpet on the passenger side wheel well. You'll see a bank of relays. You'll be able to tell which relay it is through the constant cycling, clicking, noise that the relay's making. By laying your hand on the relays you can feel which one is clicking. Unplug the relay. Now your trunk lid should stay locked. Just one problem. Until you replace the relay or the car thoroughly drys out you can only unlock your trunk by pulling the emergency lid release from inside the trunk compartment. I'm not familiar with convertibles and am assuming you can still access the trunk area through the drop down hatch inside your car. You'll have to lay on your back, pull yourself into the trunk compartment and pull the release handle to open. Hope this helps till you figure out if it's a wiring problem or a bad relay.

Mike

91 Coupe

Guest mounthopewalt

Thanks folks for all the good advice.

It did rain last night, and I'll bet the water is getting into the trunk through the power antenna, and shorting the relay. I'll check it out tonight, and provide an update once the problem is resolved.

If you pull the relay, the tonneau might not open too. You can pull the emergency levers in the back wall pockets. Test these first to see if they work properly.

Guest mounthopewalt

I didn't know there's emergency lever to open the tonneau cover. Where exactly is it located?

The back wall behind the seats on both sides. There are levers to release at the top, there in openings that you will see the levers,you have to bend down and look up to see them.

The problem is more likely the trunk lock (exterior) Other Reatta owners have had similar problems with water getting into the electrical switch on the back of the lock and causing the solenoid to repeatedly firing.

While not real easy to get to, you can unplug the connector to verify that is the problem.

Connector C400 on the right side of the trunk at the wheelwell could also be unplugged to cut power to the switch, but you cannot drive the car with it unplugged because all the taillamp grounds go through it. It is a black 13 position connector.

If the switch is the problem,then you need to either replace the switch or clean it and seal it from moisture.

Guest mounthopewalt

Problem solved. I opened the trunk last night, and noticed the power antenna assembly and passenger side mats were quite wet. The trunk lock actuator / solenoid was no longer cycling, as the trunk was drying up.

I can only assume that the wet relay was shorting and sending continuos current to the the actuator.

The antenna was loose and needed tightening at the fender. I also added some silicone to make it a waterproof fitting.