Electric wiper motor available for a '54 Century?

Pete Phillips

A friend and fellow BCA member has inquired about getting an electric windshield wiper motor to replace his inoperative vacuum wiper motor on a 1954 Century. Does anyone have any experience with this and do you know if an after-market electric one for a 1955 Chevrolet might fit? Any other modifications necessary to do this?

If the '54 were mine, I would get the vacuum wiper system going again, but it is not my car, and I don't think I can convince this fellow to put up with the vacuum wiper system any more.

Thanks for any leads on electric wiper motors.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Sherman,TX

There was an electric motor conversion posted here some time ago by member progoofoff ( I think that's how it's spelt ) with using a 1955-56 Chev motor as a replacement. Simple conversion. I'm going to do it to my 1954 if it gives me any more trouble. Send him a PM and ask if he will supply the details again here with the diagram. I wouldn't mind seeing it again also.

I wanted to change my wiper motor on my 1956 Olds but could not find one to fit and still use the Bat wing Air cleaner. No matter how I try to get the vacum one to work it always drags on me when I accelerate. Had it rebuilt and still have problems. I think they are available for the 54 Olds . Maybe they are the same as Buick.

Rick