65 Riv Package Tray-What vendor?

MartyWorld

Anyone use the "Original Parts Group" (OPG) package tray for their 65 Riv?

This would include the 63 and 64 models. They are available with or without the rear defroster option and are available in various colors. The price is around $50, with the padding it's $70, approximately.

Clark's is $324, with padding and covered in vinyl and uses fiberglass construction. Although the Clark's unit would certainly be more durable, you can buy several of the original cardboard units from OPG and have them covered in vinyl. Another consideration would be cutting the hole in the fiberglass unit, already covered in vinyl, for the rear defroster option.

Thoughts?

Marty

If money is dictating what gets done on your restoration, then the OPG one is probably what you need to do. Do you need the cutout for the defogger? Have you called Calvin to ask him if his could be delivered with the defogger cutout? If you go with OPG, then the next time someone asks the same question, you'll be able to provide some insight into it. :)

Ed

Guest REX STALLION

The originals were covered in Vinyl I`m not sure what "madrid " board is though (OPG `s name not mine) I can`t see you getting an original replacement part covered with vinyl for under$100.00. I think I will purchase the OPG package tray, give it a skin of light weight glass and cover it with vinyl and padding , should only cost about $350. All kidding aside Calvin Clarks will be the better deal in the long run. I have built these from scratch and they are alot of work to get the compound curves around the seats.

The originals were covered in Vinyl I`m not sure what "madrid " board is though (OPG `s name not mine) I can`t see you getting an original replacement part covered with vinyl for under$100.00. I think I will purchase the OPG package tray, give it a skin of light weight glass and cover it with vinyl and padding , should only cost about $350. All kidding aside Calvin Clarks will be the better deal in the long run. I have built these from scratch and they are alot of work to get the compound curves around the seats.

The originals were not covered in vinyl from the factory.

The originals were not covered in vinyl from the factory.

What were they covered with then? Both my old '65 Gran Sport and my current '64 have some sort of covering on them and it feels like really thin vinyl to me.

I've asked Clark's in the past about the rear defroster and if I remember correctly the answer was "no, we don't supply package trays with the defroster cut outs", but that's been 1.5yrs or so.

I haven't had a OE package tray out in quite some time, but if my memory serves me correctly, the OE tray had a finished pressed cardboard that simulated vinyl.

Ed

Every Riv I've ever owned was finished that way. I just covered my original package tray in vinyl just 'cause I think it looks better.

My 64 is covered in vinyl. I recovered it 21 years ago when I did the whole interior. I got the vinyl from SMS and it was identical to the original, I have the light blue seats and side panels with dark blue dash and package tray.

As I think about it, if you look at cars you find that are being parted out or are in the junk yard that have the rear window seal broken on them, you can see how water damages the OE trays and the cardboard starts flaking apart.

I agree, the vinyl looks better, and is easier to care for, but that's not how they came from the factory.

If yours is vinyl, it's been recovered.

Ed

Since the general consensus is that the package tray was not covered originally, the OPG package tray would be the CORRECT unit to purchase if originality is the goal. Of course, that is assuming no other vendor(s) produces the factory cardboard.

Comments...thoughts?

Thank you,

Marty

Marty,

Your car in the Peer judging format at ROA events would not lose anything if the package tray were covered in vinyl. Perhaps someone more familiar with BCA judging could tell you what if any deductions you'd recieve with a vinyl covered package tray. If done correctly using vinyl that had no fabric or foam backing on it, and done in a vinyl that replicated the OE grain pattern, I'm doubtful that anyone could tell the difference or if they could, would care. To me it seems like something the factory should have done in the first place.

Ed

Guest REX STALLION

In any event, it`s nice to know there are options. The OPG price sounds great , almost too good. Clarke`s have always had top notch product. What to do .....?

I have decided to go with the OPG package tray. It's been ordered and I will receive it within two weeks. My 65 Riviera is the dark green exterior with the dark green interior. OPG offers various colors, green being one of them. It will be interesting to see how close the color is to factory.

I will post my review of the product here.

Thanks for all the input.....................

Marty

Yes, do let us know your thoughts on the OPG package tray. My '65 has exactly the same dark green interior in yours, and I'd like to replace the package tray. I look forward to your pictures!

-Alex

Speaking from a BCA judging view, I doubt if any one would notice and if they did it would be a 1 or 2 point deduction if it was done nicely. If the workmanship was horrible, you may lose another 2 points.

Not enough to keep you from getting an award by itself, but a point here and a point there and pretty soon you have gone from gold to silver or worse.

I just returned from Hershey to find a new Riview in my mailbox. Scanning through the classifieds I saw an ad that I'd seen before but had forgotten about. Lee Sulis, ROA#3595, makes a fiberglass package tray that's "ready to be painted, or covered" and has them listed for $150.00. Check the Riview on page 28; his is the second ad in - UPHOLSTERY SOURCES.

Ed

• 4 weeks later...
Has the package shelf arrived yet?

Yes the package shelf did arrive on Tuesday of this week. It was incorrect. The shelf I ordered was to have the cut outs for the rear window defroster. The one that arrived did not. They promise to have it to me promptly.

The color and texture looked great though.

As soon as the correct shelf arrives I will post photos.

Thanks for the followup,

Marty

• 2 weeks later...
Guest CyberGolem

I'm definitely interested in seeing the quality of this package tray since a 16 year old owned my Riv before me. The holes he cut for the speakers are dangerous at best and I'd love to cover them up ASAP.

Good luck,

-Chaz

• 1 month later...
Has the package shelf arrived yet?

I just left OPG this morning and they ordered the wrong package tray again.

Sequence of events.

• Ordered package tray "in person" June 15, 2010.
  • Called by OPG tray was in, July 23, 2010.
  • OPG ordered a grey tray with defroster cutouts, and a green one without. I wanted a green tray with cutouts. An issue is their ordering system, GR (gray), GR (green). This was July 29th, in person, at OPG.
  • Reordered green tray on July 29th while I was there.
  • Called OPG on September 16th, regarding my package tray. OPG states on August 22nd, they have a note "No Contact", and the tray was sent back. I inquired what "No Contact" meant and did not receive a satisfactory response. After some research while I was on the phone, I was informed the tray was returned to "stock", their own in house inventory and not their vendor. I was then told it would be ready for pickup and I informed them I would be there today to pick it up. The tray received was gray in color, the wrong one.

The gentleman that assisted me today apoligized for the ordering issues and will rectify the situation.

Marty

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello group.

Received the package tray yesterday (Saturday, October 23rd).......looks very good. The dark green color looks correct, the grain is good, and the rear window defroster cutouts are there.

I will photograph in a week or two, and give it to my interior man to install with the headliner. I will provide photos and updates.

Thanks,

Marty