I bought one from Amazon for just over $100. While better than the original, It is New OLD Stock. Therefore it is about 20 years old (or so I'm told). Larry has New New Stock and should be MUCH better. Mine takes 12 seconds to fully pressurize from dead cold.

I was offered a new Delco one for $160.00 cdn, but as you say don't know the manufacturing date on it till it arrives. How long should it take to build pressure? I haven't counted how long mine takes but its more than 12 seconds I know that. Mine is the original I'm sure.

I think a better test than how long it takes to build pressure (there could be variation in the amount the ABS pump can supply) is to see how much pressure it holds. Hemi has a neat T fitting with a high pressure gauge he bult that can be installed in line to see how much pressure is held by the system (accumulator). While I don't have one of those, the stab-the-brakes-quickly test works for me. Start the car, let the yellow ABS light go out, then jab the brakes lightly on off on off and count how many 'on' jabs it takes to relight the light. 3-4 pumps and your accumulator is shot, 5-8 I can live with, it will store enough pressure for a good long panic stop. Anything over 10 and your accumulator is working top notch IMO. The service procedure might not agree with my findings to the letter but this is a good rule of thumb.

Alan

Alan,

I've had a factory pressure gauge for 15 years. It is NOT as effective as the "pump the brakes" test. I wrote an article for the newsletter how the accumulators on our TCs are similar to the Citroen spheres that have been around for over 50 years. Old, worn accumulators can give a good pressure reading, but only for a short time - hence the number of times you can pump the pedal before the yellow Anti-Lock light goes on is a much better indicator. If you can get 10 pumps, that is as good as new system out of the box. It is a shame that the Citroen spheres currently can't be used on the TC, as they can be recharged every few years for a few bucks. But..... I'm working on that......

The ones we tested from GM direct and Amazon were "Made in West Germany" (may say Federal Republic of Germany) over 20 years ago. The shelf life for accumulators according to Ed Peters, one of the TC engineers, is 10 years. You may want to check the box. I did an article about this for the TC America newsletter.