1938 Zephyr project questions

Guest jmchampagne

Guest jmchampagne

Hi, I have a '38 Lincoln Zephyr 4 door project. It's basically just a shell: body frame and front axle and suspension. It has no motor, trans, or running gear. The guy I bought it from wanted to use them for a hot rod. The sheetmetal is really good and a lot of parts are there, such as interior pieces, grill, trim, etc. What I really want to do is make it a modern rod, with a mostly stock body but updated suspension, engine, trans, something I can drive daily. I just really love the body style and since I have a family the four doors will come in handy. I'd like to remove the original front axle and put in something more modern, maybe a Mustang II IFS. Does anyone know what the width of the axles are front and rear, hub to hub? And does anyone have any suggestions as to what rear end would fit on the car, like what make and model would be a good donor?

Guest Roadking

im in the process of doing the same thing give me a call we can talk about the project.

914-224-5442

Rob

I briefly looked into changing the suspension when I first got the '48, but then decided to keep the buggy spring set-up, really does ride pretty nice. You can add power steering and brakes, just use kits for flathead fords. I'm making the V12 run like a new car too, no problem keeping up with Chevys. A sort of original set-up seems to retain more value as well.

But if you persist, I talked with Art Morrison in Lincoln (!) City, Oregon. He thought the mustang II setup is too flimsy for a big car, and offered to weld in a big Chevrolet car front frame half. You have to bring him the car less engine and front sheet metal.

Abe

Guest 1hooligan

If you decide to go back to original I know of a columbia two speed rear end out of a 40. should be the same a a 38. shipping could be a problem! were are you?