Maxwell "1904 Special"

Guest dave80995

Guest dave80995

I have a Maxwell "1904 Special" or "The Daddy of Them All" as it says on the left and right side of the vehicle. On the rear of the vehicle is painted in bold lettering "Old But Ambitious". It almost seems as if at one point in time it was a show car.

From the information I gathered, it appears to be a 2 cylinder Model H manufactured in Terrytown, NY in 1904. I believe I have all the original parts to the car, right down to the all aluminum engine block. I believe it had solid wood wheels when it left the factory, but although it still has the original Maxwell rims, someone along the way put tires on it. However, the carriage needs to be restored. I decided the first step is to gather as much information on the car as I can.

So, I would like to know more information on the production. I searched the vehicle for a production number and found it on the magneto. The number is 6T809H. Can anyone give me more information on this car? Thanks!

-Dave

We need a picture to see what you have. I would doubt the number you found is a car number, back then a lot of individual parts were serial numbered, and the number you found is probably just a magneto number. Get a picture posted! Thanks and good luck.

Guest dave80995

Now that I see it close up, I may have read that serial number upside down at first. Now it looks as if it says H60819 :confused:

"In 1886, Benjamin Briscoe established Briscoe Manufacturing Company in Detroit, Michigan, for the production of sheet metal products. He specialized in making radiators for thr new automobile industry. In 1904, Briscoe joined with Jonathan Maxwell to produce Maxwell-Briscoe automobiles"

The tag shown in the picture matches with the above statement. I'm no expert on the marque, but it would appear you have a very early Maxwell-Briscoe. The signs on the side and back are typical of what a dealer promotion would have done in the 20's or so, they are promoting the "current" model of Maxwell and showing this car. Thus it would have been a "show" car only to a dealer.

Interesting car. I would hesitate before restoring it, as it is a piece of history as is. A sympathetic approach to getting it running and usable would be more interesting. Thanks for posting pictures!!

Guest dave80995

Thank you for your help, Trim. I would like to put it back together. I've done an inventory and the parts are all here with the car. Putting the car back together is not going to be easy, and I would need an expert mechanic to help. That being said, I'm not an expert mechanic and would really hate to damage a part of the engine to this thing.

This car went through a flood during Hurricane Agnes, I believe. However, the parts and the car seem to be restorable if handled with caring hands. My father took the car apart 20 or so years ago in hopes of getting it running again, but he never did. I guess he ran out of time. It is said that my grandfather (a Chevrolet dealer) took this car in trade probably in the 1930's or 1940's.

Is there any way to know just exactly how old this car is? Is there anyway I can find a serial or production number and cross reference it with a source of production numbers? Thanks!

Hi May we see farther away pics of the front and sides of the vehicle please? Also dash area if possible. From the lines I see so far I would guess 1909 Model LD, A or 1910 model AA because of the latter rear spring arragement and the single shift lever on the seat riser(Omiting the Model H). Also hub cap design and molding around rear panel. Whole pics would give us a much better chance at iding this vehicle. Serial number should be stamped in the cover on top of the engine below the Magneto. Maxwell didn't use a magneto ( Commutator was used) for the first couple of production years. Thanks

Edited by JO BO (see edit history)

Guest dave80995

Okay, after a more thorough look around the car with my maglight, I found a tag in the center board just below the passenger and drivers seat. It's a Model AA (1910?) Number 5443.

DSC03953.JPG

This is the piece I got the serial number off of before:

DSC03949.JPG

Patent Plaque:

DSC03952.JPG

Mfg. Stamp?:

DSC03958.JPG

Engine Compartment:

DSC03964.JPG

Body:

DSC03960.JPG

DSC03959.JPG

Dash:

DSC03950.JPG

Edited by dave80995 (see edit history)

Guest cben09

Be even careful with strong soaps,,,they may wash some of that paint off,,,,I lost the striping on 1/2 of a wheel on a 1916 Pope ,,the decals made it,,just in time,,,Ben

Guest cben09

Have you done engine work before?/ Can we help coax you through a good part of the engine,,I keep hearing stories of shops that dont know the booby traps of 1910,,that we found out by 1915,,haha,,,Cheers,,Ben

Guest dave80995

Hi Ben, I grew up on a farm and worked on vintage tractors and other equipment. I don't feel I am skilled enough to put this car back together myself, so I may have to recruit someone at some point for help. What "tricks" did you have in mind? I would certainly be open to any help I can get!

I'm not sure when I will be able to undertake this project, or if I ever will. I may have sell it unfinished at some point due to this terrible economy.

Guest cben09

Hi,,First thing is to inventory the parts and see if you can spot whats missing,,,Look for a owners manual,,and parts book,,,not sure if they made a overhaul book,,,probably not,,,A copy of DYKES ed 11--18 good start,,AND ASK questions before you box your self into a corner,,, What era tractors did you repair?? Got my tractor time on 1927 Farmall regular and a big 22-36 McCormack,1930,,the one ya stand on tip toe to look in radiator,,both hand crankers,,both excellent pieces of equipment, There should be lots of info on this site,,,Good luck,,Ben

Guest Mr. Lang

I'm not sure that this is the same, but you might enjoy this clip, it was posted on the MTFCA Model T forum. Its a 1910 Model AA maxwell.

Pretty neat.

• 8 months later...
Guest pknighton

This is almost identical to my 1910 AA. The striping pattern was published in an AACA article I wrote many years ago, Oct, 1978 I think. The rear body section looks like an Illinois Auto Rebuilding Co. seat like on the 1909 A series illustrated in that article. The headlights wer Maxwell No. 27, Sidelights were Maxwell No. 9 and Taillight was Maxwell No.4. The windshield you have is correct, a Westchester brand. It had a Splitdorf Model H magneto.