Oil For Shocks

Paul K.

Thanks. Sounds like jack oil or ATF will work. I was talking with a guy into OLD MGs with a similar serviceable shock. He mentioned when their shocks get worn, they get a little more life out of them by using a heavier oil, i.e. 90w gear lube. Probably, helps slow leaks too. You know British cars, if a component is not leaking, it is because it is empty of fluid!

Guest DADDIO65

speaking of shocks, my 39' is in need of shock repair.... anyone know of seal kits avaliable for these things??

Here's some previous postings I've collected on the subject of oil:

Ok Guy's here is what I did on the Houdale shocks, but first remember that all shocks are basically hydraulically operated, whether by air or oil. I took some of the oil from the shocks and had it analyzed, just a spectrum analysis by a friend of mine who works for the GOV and it turned out to be the basic hydraulic oil used in jacks, however the original oil contained a paraffin base, like many oils back in the pre-war day's. We compared it to the normal hydraulic oil used in jacks and the only difference is no paraffin, but has some detergent. The benefits using jack oil is that the viscosity does not vary like the paraffin oils. So just get some good jack oil. BILL

Hello: If your shocks are the Houdaille rotary hydraulic type the correct fluid originally used was glycerin base stock, not mineral base. You will find the only solvent to clean it with is alcohol. By this date the glycerin will be congealed to a gooey mess and all check valves will be hopelessly gummed up. If you can successfully clean the old fluid out you could use Mobil One Synthetic Oil which has the most temperature stable viscosity range for this application. I did that on a 1933 Studebaker race car I did restoration work on and it performed well afterward.

Unfortunately by this date several well thinking unknowledgeable mechanics may have added mineral base "Jack" oil to top them off and you now have a real sticky milkshake inside that no solvent alcohol or mineral spirit will touch.

I noticed that Kanter Obsolete Auto Products has Delco shock absorber fluid, 11oz. for $10 listed on there web site.

Would this be OK?

Thanks,

Don

....and shock repair:

Dear Ace,My shock re-builder of choice is Lou Trinque,Union Conn.#860-684-3853 give him a try might have some correct shocks or cores he can build.Great guy,Great workmanship and fair prices.diz [see also www.levershocks.com for rebuilder – “Houdaille, pronounced “Hoo-Dye”, are used mainly on Ford, Studebaker, Lincoln and Mercury automobiles. Please call or email with your cars’ details for more information on finding and rebuilding shocks from these auto manufacturers.”]

Shocks cannot be rebuilt by a novice without the special tools it takes to take them apart.

Tube shocks could be adapted to the Lincoln suspension the same as on a Ford.

Check your shock links before you condemn the shocks. They are cheaper to come by and no harder to replace. V12Bill, 4/29/08

Apple Hydraulics have the shocks for Lincoln Zephyr. http://www.applehydraulics.com/houdaille.htm

Their web site shows $165.00 each. They also show shock links for Ford and Mercury for $25.00 each. V8andahalf, 4/30/08

Edited by DSpringer (see edit history)