Rear axle or parts for 1928 Master

pepcak

Hi, looking for parts of rear axle for 1928 Master - brake spiders (mine are both cracked) and strut rod lugs (rear; mine are missing). Emty axle bridge (w/o differential gear) welcome, whole axles considered. Please offer. Josef

post-42602-143138226716_thumb.jpg

Mark, thanks for the consideration. Seems to me that 29 is a bit different comparing to what I have. Do you know if it interchanges per parts book (I have only 1928 book available, not the master one). I will come back unless I will be able to find anything better.

1929 will not work for you Josef.

I had broken spiders on my 1922. I had them welded back and a bead run on the backing plate for extra strength. That said, you should be able to find a 28 rear end.

Be aware that the ring gear carier is 1928 only. While the ring and pinion gears will interchanbe with 1927 and earlier, you have to remove the remove the ring gear from the other years and re attach it to the 1928 carrier.

1927 carrier will not fit in the 1928 rear end. I tried it.

Fred, thanks for hint. I guess I can weld the spiders, but I am missing those lugs as well - seems that somebody has removed them, whatever was the reason. I have just two ugly pieces of flat iron each side, clamped on the axle (not even riveted to it as original lugs). The gears look quite well, right now I do not assume to replace them. But I can imagine that spare gears are always good to have.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I think I can treat strut rod lugs with what I have, now more serious issue - both axle shafts are useless, can anybody offer any that fits? Will 1927 Master axle shaft fit to my 1928 Master wire wheel?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

OK,

seems no one here can offer anything for rear axle, so I will try it from opposite side - would anyone be interested in NEW made axle shafts for 1928 Master Six? Estimated price USD 230 each plus postage, guarantee for function. With more parts made the price can be lowered.

Let me know if it is of any interest, we can work out the details.

Josef

• 2 weeks later...

Going deeper through the axle I have found that one sun wheel (that axle shaft slides into) has 4 cracks and splines damage. One of 12 rivets that fasten crown wheel separated its head and went through the assembly, damaged the sun wheel and internal surface of crown wheel carrier. This is not critical, but I definitely want to replace sun wheel, or how the parts list call it, "intermediate side gear" P/N 963015. Will this fit from 1929 Master?

I am still considering to buy the complete 1928 Master rear axle. Any help is appreaciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

can you make few pictures of the axle you have? One picture is better than 1000 words...

1928 has "eyes" for strap of shock absorbers and strut rods anchored at axle tube rather than in brake plate. Master has 4 differential planets and its bigger than Standard.

Josef