'39 Four Way Connector-Where is it?....

buick4547

The Wiring Diagram for my '39 Model 48, found on page 137, Section 12-21 of the 1939 Shop Manual, identifies a Four Way Connector where leads from the stop light swith, tail/stop lights, directional signals, etc. meet.

Can some one tell me where this Four Way Connector is physically located on the car? I may wire in a led "Brake Lighter" at that point. The "Brake Lighter" is an after market product which provides additional stop lights displayed in the rear window.

If anyone else is using this product, I'd appreciate knowing how you wired it into the existing wiring.

Thanks,

Jim

Its the connector between the front and back wiriing harness. On right drive cars its under the dash near the right door pillar. Guess on yours its on the left

You are probably better taking a feed to the "Brake Lighter" from the trunk brake wiring

Edited by 1939_buick (see edit history)

Guest Grant Magrath

We had to make our own 4 way connector. You can access ours behind the drivers side kick panel. As Allan said, you would be better to use the trunk wiring. That's what we did!

Cheers

Grant

Guest OLBUICKS

Mine was in the upper left side of the wind shield frame, hard to get to, also remember your dome light wire goes up thru there.

We had to make our own 4 way connector. You can access ours behind the drivers side kick panel. As Allan said, you would be better to use the trunk wiring. That's what we did!

Cheers

Grant

Thanks to Grant and all others. You are right. I used the trunk wiring and it works great.

What was I thinking?

Uh, one more thing on this Brakelighter subject. Did any of you who are using it, wire it as a turn signal as well. I talked to the owner/inventer about the problem that the signals mounted on the trunk are separate from the tail/stop lights.

He is working on a solution and sent me an alternative wiring diagram using diodes to solve the problem, but it looks like a kind of involved procedure, one that I really don't want to try.

Hopefully, he comes up with a better solution. I'm just curious to know if anyone else has wired it as both a third brake light and also as turn signals, and how they did it.

Jim

Guest Grant Magrath

Hi Jim.

The third brakelight we used had wires for indicators as well. Like yourself, we're going to use ours for the indicators also. Incidentally, to make the car more practical to use, we wired the accessory parklights up as indicators.

Cheers

Grant

Hi Jim.

The third brakelight we used had wires for indicators as well. Like yourself, we're going to use ours for the indicators also. Incidentally, to make the car more practical to use, we wired the accessory parklights up as indicators.

Cheers

Grant

Grant,

Sorry, I may be a little short in the area of comprehension, but I'm not sure of what you are telling me in this post. Are you saying that the latest Brakelighter you purchased was wired from the supplier to accomodate the indicators for a '39 Buick? I only ask this because I recently purchased mine and was led to believe by J & L that they didn't have a product already prewired for our cars that could easily be used as a third brakelight and indicator lights as well.

Thanks,

Jim

Guest Grant Magrath

Hi Jim.

As I understand it, the brake light was all wired up and ready to go. 4 long colored plasic wires. We wired the brake light up to the wires running under the top of the trunk (bear in mind we have a coupe) One to the brake light circuit, the other screwed to the body for an earth. That leaves us with the remaining wires to be spliced in to the rear indicator circuit on the trunk door (or wherever). Two sticky dots are supplied, as well as the suction cups. The suction cups keep falling down, so we're going to use the dots. I might have mislead you when I mentioned that we wired our parklights up to be indicators as well. Hand signals in a left hand drive car in a right hand drive country are somewhat tricky! Also, in NZ, all cars from the mid eighties up, and cars imported into NZ have to have a high mounted brake light by law.

Cheers

Grant

.. I might have mislead you when I mentioned that we wired our parklights up to be indicators as well.
These are the front parklights (a rare option on 39's)

BrakeLighterâ„¢ From the wiring circuit I cannot see how the indicator would work [and I often read wiring circuit at work]

Edited by 1939_buick (see edit history)

Guest Grant Magrath

Hmmmm. I see what you mean. They talk about positive ground, and as we all know, 39's are negative ground. But, as they say, being vague is better than doing that other thing!

Cheers

Grant