Corvair carb not working

Guest chieflander

Guest chieflander

I have a 1965 Corvair 500, 4 door, with the dual carb 95 horsepower 6 cylinder engine. The primary carb seems to be functioning fine, but the right hand secondary carb is spraying drops of gas from the top of the venturi assembly, from the larger jet. The leakage seems to be less with the engine revved up, but under load the engine really bogs down. Along with revving the motor up, there is more crankcase exhaust from the ventilator tube that seems to coincide with the amount of fuel spraying from the carb. It also seems that there isn't any fuel leaving the 2 jets on the accelerator pump side of the carb as it does on the left hand primary carb. I disassembled the offending carb and found the venturi clogged and the bowls filled with nasty sediment, but now that its been cleaned out the problem still exists. Up until perhaps 4 days ago, the car has been running beautifully without hesitation or sluggishness. So, I'm baffled by the whole thing and I'm hoping some fellow Corvair enthusiast will help me out! I haven't had this car for long, since February, so I'm still very much learning the ins and outs.

Guest chieflander

It's not so much in getting the two carbs synchronized as it is to just get the one to stop spitting out gas. I got a rebuild kit today and replaced all the suspect items, including the entire accelerator pump assembly, and still.... it's spitting gas out from the top of the venturi. At least the accelerator pump is functioning as it should, but idling and having any power whatsoever are still elusive... any more ideas?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest chieflander

Alright, I took the car to the shop to see if someone else could spot a problem, and the guy that looked at it felt sure there was a crack in the carb, in the bottom half. So, I replaced the bowl half of the carb, and it's still the same problem. A thought dawns on me... could it be badly adjusted valves? Perhaps the intake isn't correct and causing weird problems.