V12 gas mileage?

jimm

Hello,

I have been told by several people that Lincoln V12s don't exactly get the greatest miles per gallon. Of course I'm not expecting them to be economical on gas, but when I asked one seller about mpg, he joked that he "filled up at every gas station he passed". Now I know he was kidding, but just how thirsty are these cars? What kind of mileage could one expect in city driving versus highway, using overdrive and with a freshly rebuilt engine? Thanks for your input.

Jim

Which Lincoln? The Zephyr and Zephyr based postwar models were quite light and had engines of under 300 cu in with a small 2 barrel carb. They were not particularly hard on gas except that a 12 has more friction than a 6 or 8 of the same displacement. But this was a minor issue.

Average mileage probably went 15 or 16 MPG compared to 17 or 18 for a Ford or Chev. I know this sounds low but that was typical for the times. After all there has been some progress in efficiency over the last 70 years.

The senior V12s were a completely different proposition. They weighed 50% more than a Zephyr and displacement and power likewise were higher. They would be lucky to get 12 MPG in average driving and could dip into single digits in traffic, hilly country or during fast travel.

Guest lrmeaux

Gas milage on my 47 lincoln is like a new girl friend IT DOES NOT MATTER WHAT IT COST AND YOU DONT TELL YOUR WIFE!

Thanks for the input. I should have been more specific. The cars I have been looking at are Lincoln Continental cabriolets from 1946-1948. I really love the impressive look of these cars, actually all Lincolns of the 1930's to 1940's. Several people have suggested I concentrate on the later years because of alleged problems with overheating and other issues with the earlier V12 Lincolns. Not sure if that is true or not. Some have pointed out that so many of the V12s were swapped out for V8s, including later year Lincolns, so "that should send me a message". However, I figure that most of the problems, if any, were probably cured by the late '40s. Maybe many of the engine swaps were because the V12s were more expensive to rebuild? Also, these cars have been so popular with collectors for so many years, they can't be that big a problem! Any input on mileage or alleged engine problems with '46-'48 Lincoln Continental cabriolets? Thanks again.

Jim

Post war Cabriolets are becomming more and more plentiful it seems in this internet age

I am pleased to say they were coveted from new...and so look around.. Big lead iron car is not an economy car , but with overdrive and good tune 15-18 hwy is very possible, and at

modern speed.. But, a poorly built car with worn semi functional components will be your

worst stinky, overheating, slow, gas guzzling nightmare.....The nice thing is, the population that collected them is aging, good cars are out there...and the internet has brought the price down..Test drive on on the highway...with / without od should be effortless to 70 mph .....

These are fun big cars top down high speed..or so quiet and smooth they cant here you comming.. Go for a 48..maybe deep blue, tan inside....tan top..

• 4 weeks later...

LAst time I checked my 48 with all the mods I did to the engine was getting 20mpg with the OD kicked in at 65mph. Thats with the 2x2 edelbrock intake, I do have L78x15 tires which are 29.5" tall which helps a little too.

It cruises nicely at 75mph and should be a lot more fun with the new steering box.