56 Steering Components

Hi,

I'm about to change out my tie rods and idler arm with replacements from Kanter. I had real sloppy steering before. Is there anything I should do to the drag link while I'm there?

Is there any sense in taking it apart?

Thanks

Take it apart for inspection, cleaning and adjustment. You may find broken or worn parts. Also the old grease is not compatible with modern grease and will liquefy and make a big mess. After it is cleaned, painted, assembled and adjusted use Valvoline synthetic grease which will not separate and ooze oil like the cheaper stuff. This is a very messy job, but the end result will give you satisfaction and confidence in the assembly.

Willie

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I got a little bit of work done this past weekend. I threw in some new tie rods, then I removed the old idler arm to replace with my new one, only to realize it looked just as good as the new one, so I put it back in. I greased everything and took it for a spin -- it wanders more than before! Steering is very loose and doesn't straighten out after a turn.

Any ideas?

I have not done the drag link yet. Would it be at all possible to do the alignment myself in a home garage?

Yup you sure can. Spend a day getting everything aligned with string, tape measures, and levels. When you're done take it for a test drive. Straight to a good alignment shop.................Bob

• 4 weeks later...

I finally got around to doing the drag link and setting the toe at home in my garage. I don't know if my alignment was way out of whack (probably not) or if it was the drag link rebuilt, but the difference is night and day. Drives tight and I have to make far less adjustments to keep it straight.