bb1970

Post some pics of your Rivieras!!!!!!!!!!

3 minutes ago, RivNut said:

If you can finder the right painter, he could probably do some touch up if that's the original lacquer paint.,

Wish you guys could see it up close. It really is bad. I too am amazed at how well it presents in photos and at first glance I am not sure how to describe the problems it has? It has little tiny surface rust marks all throughout the paint that look like tiny chicken feet. They buff off to a not to noticeable state but keep coming back. Painters say it needs stripped. Also has several areas that were spot painted that don't match up to well.

1 hour ago, 71GS said:

Daryle, looks great! Especially for original paint. Nice job, pretty car.

I dropped off my seats at the upholsterer today. Done waiting on the OPG foam for the rear. I’m ready to go for a drive, hopefully won’t be too long. 

Hey Brian, I finally got to drive mine again. It's amazing how much better they run with fresh interior and detailed. I think you made the right choice on your seat. I did mine myself, they look "ok" but I have had to subconsciously lower my standards to accept them. Make sure to post or shoot me some pictures when you are done. I love sharing our progress, and it is fun to see what others are doing . 

Daryle, that’s great glad you got out for a drive. I’ll definitely post or send some pics when I get them back. I have to get the door panels back together this week. Had to repair a few cracks in the armrest bases. Installed some sound deadening on the doors while the trim panels are off. How do you like your LED’s?

Brian

Install sound deadening on doorskin,did mine sounds like a bank vault when closing

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, crowvet said:

Wish you guys could see it up close. It really is bad. I too am amazed at how well it presents in photos and at first glance I am not sure how to describe the problems it has? It has little tiny surface rust marks all throughout the paint that look like tiny chicken feet. They buff off to a not to noticeable state but keep coming back. Painters say it needs stripped. Also has several areas that were spot painted that don't match up to well.

Those "chicken feet" are lacquer checking.  Pretty typical of lacquer paint as it ages.  New paint and old paint oxidize at different rates so what looks go initially doesn't last long.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, crowvet said:

Hey, enjoy it as is and not have the stress of a fresh perfect paint job. Mine was painted like 30 years ago and I’m kinda glad it’s not perfect. Some day I’m sure I’ll paint it but not for a good while. 

My brother just had his 67 Vette painted and while it’s stunning, I’m curious to see if he drives it less now. 

740D06FD-AE90-4D37-B8E0-208C19B97097.jpeg

DB3AFC50-6D94-40AD-94BE-30AD9A4E2AA3.jpeg

Edited by 71GS (see edit history)
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, 71GS said:

Hey, enjoy it as is and not have the stress of a fresh perfect paint job. Mine was painted like 30 years ago and I’m kinda glad it’s not perfect. Some day I’m sure I’ll paint it but not for a good while. 

My brother just had his 67 Vette painted and while it’s stunning, I’m curious to see if he drives it less now. 

740D06FD-AE90-4D37-B8E0-208C19B97097.jpeg

DB3AFC50-6D94-40AD-94BE-30AD9A4E2AA3.jpeg

WOW, looks awesome. I have to say, I do drive the Rivi a lot more than the Vett. I am betting your brother wont be as relaxed. My wife jumps in the Vett and just drives it. Because I restored it and know every little detail, I am like what is that noise, where is that wind noise from, is that a rattle? 

• Like 1

😁awesome she drives it.  When we had one I loved it when my wife would drive it. Haven’t got her to drive the Riv yet. 

He’s pretty excited about it. Hope he still drives it a lot. 

Nice Riviera!  Definitely presents a purposeful attitude with that stance.  Factory air shocks?

218631594_Capturedecran2015-03-27a18_34_

• Like 1

Old school stance for sure... as it should be

Beautiful Riv. Thanks for sharing. 

On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2020 at 6:11 PM, mcmasterson said:

I have the original protecto plate

Can you post a picture of your Protect-O-Plate? I would like to look at it and decode it.

Posted (edited)
On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2020 at 3:31 PM, mcmasterson said:

code "PJ"

See my decoded POP image below: (image is reversed so the POP is readable)

203755123_1968BuickRivieraProtect-o-plate.thumb.JPG.9755ba5d20b02bb8f1c1825b7db93537.JPG

Edited by NC1968Riviera (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2020 at 3:31 PM, mcmasterson said:

The paint code is LL

Rare paint color for '68 Riv's

Medium Teal Blue Mist  973 1.97%

One of 973! I met a guy on FB who inherited his fathers 68 Riv with Medium Teal Blue Mist paint. His came with the black vinyl top.

It's an interesting color. It can look turquoise, gray or blue depending on the lighting the car is in.

Can you tell if the spare tire well was also repainted or if it still has the original paint? If original, how close is the repaint to the original color?

Posted (edited)

My fleet was social distancing today. Doing an oil change on the Riviera tomorrow and getting her (hopefully) set for the warm season.

A33C9DA0-9942-4D1F-B968-C9D3E4369C52.jpeg

Edited by bodayguy (see edit history)
  • Like 2

The Gator is back in its natural habitat 

B1544D59-8EA5-42A4-9352-EEA29F01224A.jpeg

• Like 4

On 4/4/2020 at 7:26 PM, crowvet said:

Rivman, The grits I was referring to was the grit of the buffing compounds, not sandpaper. Yeah it would not of handled a sanding. I have primer showing through in some areas and some spot painting. But for what it is it turned out looking pretty good.

Copy that. It sounds like you know what you are doing.

It does look good in the picture, that's for sure.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

20200407_182452.thumb.jpg.73a0cd3aebe93f78e0a3c20498fb6745.jpg

Seen on Instagram. Obviously this is NOT The Aqua Zephyr. 

Now, I have to ask you, what idiot puts opera / port hole windows in the C pillars of a '68 Riviera? 

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, NC1968Riviera said:

Seen on Instagram. Obviously this is NOT The Aqua Zephyr. 

Now, I have to ask you, what idiot puts opera / port hole windows in the C pillars of a '68 Riviera? 

Does not appeal to me on a Riv.

They were all the rage in the '70's. Vans were the biggest victims.

I think JC Whitney sold kits for awhile.

Pimp my ride. 

Edited by PWB (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

Looks like an aftermarket padded landau top was installed at the same time as the windows.

• Sad 1

On 4/6/2020 at 7:04 AM, NC1968Riviera said:

Can you post a picture of your Protect-O-Plate? I would like to look at it and decode it.

Sure, here it is.  I ran through it awhile ago using bits and pieces I found online

1586453512308.jpg

On 4/6/2020 at 8:39 AM, NC1968Riviera said:

Rare paint color for '68 Riv's

Medium Teal Blue Mist  973 1.97%

One of 973! I met a guy on FB who inherited his fathers 68 Riv with Medium Teal Blue Mist paint. His came with the black vinyl top.

It's an interesting color. It can look turquoise, gray or blue depending on the lighting the car is in.

Can you tell if the spare tire well was also repainted or if it still has the original paint? If original, how close is the repaint to the original color?

Yeah I have mostly red vehicles and thought the blue looked pretty cool.  Didn't realize it was that rare of a color until after i agreed to buy it.  I honestly haven't done much digging in the trunk yet. I did see it had the trunk release button in the glove box, although its not working.  So will have to try to repair that.   Just got it out a couple weeks ago for the first time as I bought it just when snow was flying so didnt get it up to my shop to take a good look at it.  Ill take a look and let you know.