Post some pics of your Rivieras!!!!!!!!!!

bb1970

1 hour ago, 71GS said:

Ed, yeah it is an accessory tach. Definitely a little later era but kinda neat. The dial rotates around.  

post up some pics of your cars. I don’t think I’ve ever seen them. 😁

You are correct. I have taken a sabbatical from working on them.  Working on getting some health situation rectified before I can resume working on them.  Word to the wise. Finish one before buying a second, you’ll get neither finished when you think you will.  Then you get really smart and buy a third.  You store them 60 miles from home and just pay storage fees.  Things are looking up though. The physical therapist says I should be back in fighting form in a couple of more months.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RivNut said:

You are correct. I have taken a sabbatical from working on them.  Working on getting some health situation rectified before I can resume working on them.  Word to the wise. Finish one before buying a second, you’ll get neither finished when you think you will.  Then you get really smart and buy a third.  You store them 60 miles from home and just pay storage fees.  Things are looking up though. The physical therapist says I should be back in fighting form in a couple of more months.

Ed, sorry to hear you’ve been down but glad your on the mend. 👍

32 minutes ago, TheTaxMan said:

Are those rims silver/grey in the middle?  I had contemplated something similar but my car is a bit darker so wasn't sure how it would look.

Yes, they had a grey, cast look, center with a brushed finish rim. 
I like ‘em. 
pretty positive they are American Racing Salt Flat wheels or similar 

B8C042B9-1B88-47E0-8FA3-0B7CA94CE407.png

Edited by 71GS (see edit history)

1 hour ago, RivNut said:

... Word to the wise. Finish one before buying a second, you’ll get neither finished when you think you will.... 

And no doubt, just when you think "you've got one completed", something else will occur and your trustworthy classic car will be down and in need of help. They're no different than us in that respect. 🙄🥺😉

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 71GS said:

Yes, they had a grey, cast look, center with a brushed finish rim. 
I like ‘em. 
pretty positive they are American Racing Salt Flat wheels 

B8C042B9-1B88-47E0-8FA3-0B7CA94CE407.png

Those are nice.  I'm all over the place on what I should do with my wheels.  I like the Rallye's as well as the turbines that Turbinator does.  Would like something maybe a little unique and think the grey rims might look nice against the grey car but I have a terrible eye.

Riviera 2.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, 71GS said:

Ed, yeah it is an accessory tach. Definitely a little later era but kinda neat. The dial rotates around.  

post up some pics of your cars. I don’t think I’ve ever seen them. 😁

I have long rectangular flat digital bar tach, maybe 7/8" thick, mounted with double sided tape below my barrel speedometer. I bought it decades ago and didn't install it until about 10 years ago.  It's next to perfect because it sits so inconspicuously there. I could never imagine a large round tachometer bolted anywhere in my '67 spaceship.

Edited by KRmanr (see edit history)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TheTaxMan said:

Those are nice.  I'm all over the place on what I should do with my wheels.  I like the Rallye's as well as the turbines that Turbinator does.  Would like something maybe a little unique and think the grey rims might look nice against the grey car but I have a terrible eye.

Riviera 2.jpg

iMHO that would just be too much gray on that beautiful boattail but it’s all in the eye of the beholder ! I do like those wheels though. Personally I would want more chrome but….Who cares what anybody else thinks. Do what YOU like . Gorgeous car! Let us know hat you decide .Thanks 
KReed

ROA 14549

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kreed said:

iMHO that would just be too much gray on that beautiful boattail but it’s all in the eye of the beholder ! I do like those wheels though. Personally I would want more chrome but….Who cares what anybody else thinks. Do what YOU like . Gorgeous car! Let us know hat you decide .Thanks 
KReed

ROA 14549

You make a good point. Will have to see what I can find! Thanks!

1 hour ago, 71GS said:

LOVE the redlines 👍

Thanks.  It gives the car more of a performance look.  I've seen them on silver cars with the Buick road wheels too.  Nothing wrong with the white walls, but a different look.

Art

• Like 2

7 hours ago, TheTaxMan said:

Riviera 2.jpg

No idea if this will make your decision any easier, but here's a quick photochop of what the car might look like with those rims:

70s Riv with rims.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Hazdaz said:

No idea if this will make your decision any easier, but here's a quick photochop of what the car might look like with those rims:

70s Riv with rims.jpg

Hazdaz,

I'm impressed how you did that as I don't have that kind of skill.  That being said, you are correct that it helps me decide.  Too much grey. Needs more chrome to make the rest of the car pop. 

Thanks!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, RivNut said:

I agree with Dr Ken.  Needs some bling to add some sparkle to the lower half.  With those colors, I'd be tempted to go with the #895 Rally wheels and white sidewall tires. Just my humble opinion.

Rivnut,

Are the 895's the only one's that fit on the 71?  If so, where do I see that code number at?

Thanks,

Damon

1 hour ago, TheTaxMan said:

Rivnut,

Are the 895's the only one's that fit on the 71?  If so, where do I see that code number at?

Thanks,

Damon

All three code #’s have the 5 on 5 bolt circle.  The #802 will not fit because of disk brake caliper interference. The #853 might because they were designed to fit over the 1967> disk brakes. The big difference is in the backspacing. #853 is 3-3/4”; #895 is 4-1/4”. 

You will find the code stamped into the inside of the rim. The tire must be dismounted to see the stamping. However, the #895 wheel can be identified externally. If you lay a straight edge across the center of an #895 wheel, the straight edge will rest on the center and not touch the edge of the rim. A straight edge laid across #802 and #853 will rest on the rim and not touch the center.  

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

5 hours ago, RivNut said:

All three code #’s have the 5 on 5 bolt circle.  The #802 will not fit because of disk brake caliper interference. The #853 might because they were designed to fit over the 1967> disk brakes. The big difference is in the backspacing. #853 is 3-3/4”; #895 is 4-1/4”. 

You will find the code stamped into the inside of the rim. The tire must be dismounted to see the stamping. However, the #895 wheel can be identified externally. If you lay a straight edge across the center of an #895 wheel, the straight edge will rest on the center and not touch the edge of the rim. A straight edge laid across #802 and #853 will rest on the rim and not touch the center.  

Thanks, that is good to know. Last question (for now)! What is considered a good price for a set of 4? I can get the pictured set for $400 (once I confirm they are 895). Obviously no center caps though.

Thanks!

D3F76C44-8643-45A4-AF53-0163E7B132E5.jpeg

6A499D88-7134-4B7B-991F-F42790DBB6F0.jpeg

8F1F4BD4-3D54-437A-921D-30301CB4859C.jpeg

19 hours ago, Hazdaz said:

70s Riv with rims.jpg

I really like those wheels on the car. Can you photoshop a whitewall into the pic? 
KReed

ROA 14549

@TheTaxMan Check out Facebook marketplace for some of the Buick rally wheels that are posted.  I sent out some feelers to see what code numbers they are. Some are going for a lot less than $400.  One guy has 7 for $225 but he has to get back to me with additional pictures and code numbers.

1 hour ago, steelman said:

TaxMan, you can get these wheels in a polished finish as well. Look around. These are from American Racing. Search kidney bean wheels.

3523E142-3A1A-49EF-B00B-6CB238B30A46.jpeg

Those are nice as well.  I'm curious if I could replace the center cap on the Cragar Keystone Classic with a more appropriate Riviera center cap.  Think it could look nice.

Cragar Keystone.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Turbinator said:

Ed, $400 for four wheels that are Buick Rallye wheels and they should have correct caps and look good too?

I think you should raise your expectations a tad. 😎

Not my expectations, just saying that there are a number of much better deals out there.  I have a set that are currently on my ‘94 wagon.  I bought all 5 for $60.  

In the original post, there is no mention of center caps.  

The hunt is as much fun as the acquisition.

14 hours ago, RivNut said:

there are a number of much better deals out there.  

If I could find four(4) OEM Rallye wheels for $400. All the same code number that do not have to re-chromed or painted Id buy a train car load of them.

where can you find the under the hood black plastic cover that goes over the vacuum switches on a 63 zRiviera? Those covers are almost non existent. For someone that wanted one like me would pay for that item.

Turbinator

5 hours ago, Turbinator said:

where can you find the under the hood black plastic cover that goes over the vacuum switches on a 63 zRiviera?

That sounds like a good printing project for someone with a scanner and 3-D printer.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Turbinator said:

...under the hood black plastic cover that goes over the vacuum switches on a 63 zRiviera?

You have a pic of the part you are talking about?  Would it be the same on a '64?  Like EMTEE brought up, it might be something that I could 3D print or get professional 3D printed.  Anything under the hood though is iffy as to whether it can be 3D printed because of the heat.  More info on the specific part would be helpful.

It’s a thin plastic cover that covers the a/c switches.  On the outside there is what I would call a molded diagram of the vacuum hoses.  Kind of like those cheap disposable storage containers you take with you at Thanksgiving to take home leftovers.  A couple of screws held it in place.  It was actually one piece that had a plastic hinge. You removed the screws and moved the cover on the fold/hinge to access the switches.  I’ll post a picture later.

Here are some pictures. One of these is correct, but I don’t know which one. Right now that’s irrelavent. These pictures show the makeup of the cover in question.  B1BA09CB-64C9-4120-A58E-3DDFB17E7234.jpeg.01adca353904056499d5878b8406629b.jpeg83105962-1CE7-48A3-AB7B-2C6637E7F3D2.jpeg.5e8af25a68e8ac03734d6d63cbf46ee8.jpeg

this last picture gives you an idea of the thickness. I also think a mounting tab or two has been broken off.

9C4EEA09-68C1-487B-AE3D-AFB421F77736.jpeg.ff181dd44c3d97e972073939b35b52d7.jpeg

• Like 1

RIVNUT, is that the same on the '64 so I can go take a look at my car when I get a chance?  Or is it a different part on my car?

Without seeing it in person, I'm going to guess it might be on the cusp of the maximum size you could realistically 3D print with a pro-sumer machine.  But getting it professional printed might be possible.  Wouldn't be cheap, but could be possible. 

Back on the topic of wheels here. In the Riviera cars and parts forum, I just posted a picture of 4 code #895 wheels for sale. Check them out. Not mine but a good example of what’s out there if you keep your eyes open.  

On 7/11/2021 at 9:55 AM, EmTee said:

Maybe a set of these to replace your wheel covers while you decide on new wheels?  These were used on '67 and '68 Electras.

File0_079119.jpg

Or, a set of these...

addad.jpg.44ced91b86c922c72f0f127119c15b

Either one have plenty of pizaz. I like the one wheel cover that is on the car. Very cool.

Turbinator

• Like 1

On 7/9/2021 at 2:58 PM, TheTaxMan said:

Riviera 2.jpg

Awesome Car and awesome Garage. Looks like room to double stack. 🙂

3 hours ago, Belle Riv Devo said:

Awesome Car and awesome Garage. Looks like room to double stack. 🙂

Thanks Brad!  A lift would definitely look good in there but I'm going to get this car in shape first.  Hope you are doing well and making progress on your Riv.

Damon