Post some pics of your Rivieras!!!!!!!!!!

bb1970

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all!

I am Fabrice, from France.

After many years restoring old Austin Minis, I sold them all and fell in love for my first V8, a beautiful 1967 Riviera.

I took a plane on saturday to Dunkirk and drove it back south for 1000 Kms.

There's still a lot of work to do on it to be perfect, but it drives very well

20200808_104704.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Edited by Mister Fab (see edit history)
  • Like 11

Hi Ed,

Good foundation, yes, no doubt about it.

all the interiors have been restored by a saddler, seats and headliner, electric seats and windows working.

But nothing work on the dashboard, all the hands on the instrument panel are blocked. The  instrument window is missing

Heater is locked on heating with blower on, the AC compressor has been removed.

Cruise control doesn't work either

many accessories are not attached correctly, because of missing screws.

The exterior paint looks good  10 feet away, but needs to be redone.

there' are leaks on the gearbox and on the power steering assistance.

The steering whistles when reaching the end left or right

That' all coming to my mind right now, but it is a lot of small details

On 8/15/2020 at 6:38 AM, RivNut said:

@Mister Fab

I just noticed that your car is running what appears to be a dual electric fan setup. You stated earlier that you drove the car 1000 km to get it home.  How well do you think the electric fans performed?

@RivNut

It seems it works perfectly. And the external temperature was quite high while driving for these two days (102F)

But as the dashboards doesn't work, I couldn't see if the water temperature was high.

The radiator is in aluminium, so I believe it has a good thermal exchange.

I'll be able to tell you more about the temperature regulation as soon as I'll have repaired the dashboard electrics

Paul,

I had a muffler blow out on the 73 when I had it. Was having issues with carb on hot starts and kaboom!

All condensers are cheap today and even though NAPA Echlin is better, they can't compare to how they were made 40 or 50 years ago. This problem is exacerbated on antique motorcycles where they are subject to more vibration. I've dissected condensers old and new and the differences in construction are night and day clearly indicating why new ones sometimes don't last. I have since converted the 48 Indian to a condenser from Thorcap.com which is far superior. Of course you could convert to electronic but for those of us who don't want the world to forget how to install and set points, a "good" condenser might be worth looking into. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, JZRIV said:

All condensers are cheap today and even though NAPA Echlin is better, they can't compare to how they were made 40 or 50 years ago. This problem is exacerbated on antique motorcycles where they are subject to more vibration. I've dissected condensers old and new and the differences in construction are night and day clearly indicating why new ones sometimes don't last. I have since converted the 48 Indian to a condenser from Thorcap.com which is far superior. Of course you could convert to electronic but for those of us who don't want the world to forget how to install and set points, a "good" condenser might be worth looking into. 

Wow I didn’t believe it could get this bad. I just got my Echlin version today - made in another country.

But I will try Thorcap next.

I could only find the condenser rating in my trusty old Texaco service cheat sheet stating it to be .18 to .23 mfd.

Hope it’s right!

Thanks all.

Happy motoring

PS: sure would like to see a pic of that Indian!

Edited by PWB (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Tsumbody said:

I just got this 1963 Riviera August 6th, 2020 sorry the only pictures I have are from the sellers site. These 2 are the only .jpg the rest are .jiff

934b4fc7c91ae9b8b0632e0aec86965d--instrument-car-interiors.jpg.69f52fca0cbeab17ebe1ba57c31d8a4f.jpg837835596_1963-buick-riviera(1).jpg.66b980da28bc6196ac588609842ef2bc.jpg

What is the top picture of? It's not the Riviera's. Nice looking car. Great color, you don't see many red ones.li9

• Like 1

Afternoon hello from Albuquerque NM how's your day? Thanks for letting me sign up I am a 1st time Buick owner but I do love Rivi's. So I got more of the pictures switched to jpeg so I can show my car. It has been parked but I have a appointment this Friday with MVD for vin inspection Title and Registration. I still got a couple bugs to work on but I can't at my temporary Apartment. I have no tools everything's in storage. Hopefully closing on a home in a few weeks meanwhile I got the 1963 service manual and 203427350_1963-buick-riviera(8)-Copy.jpg.dfe39a3a86ebd40b7da64f105bb26149.jpgit's great. Okay I guess672337411_1963-buick-riviera(5).jpg.488458189d0809b7352b1541967b194d.jpg I will shut up for now.1161866286_1963-buick-riviera(4).jpg.1c777f04290f3cca58c78b5fdd520f97.jpg

1963-buick-riviera (6) - Copy.jpg

1963-buick-riviera (8) - Copy.jpg

1963-buick-riviera (11).jpg

1963-buick-riviera (16).jpg

1963-buick-riviera (20).jpg

1963-buick-riviera (21).jpg

1963-buick-riviera (23).jpg

1963-buick-riviera (25).jpg

1963-buick-riviera (28).jpg

1963-buick-riviera (29).jpg

1963-buick-riviera (30).jpg

1963-buick-riviera (31).jpg

• Like 6

Hi All.  After almost 3 years of lurking - I could wait no more.

Against good advice, I pulled the trigger and purchased my first Riviera. She is a seafoam 65 401 from West Texas. I bought her because in New England we just cant find clean rust free bodies. She needs engine work and some paint and bright work but I am very happy with her. The former owner was an extremely fastidious doctor who kept a notebook with every service and the details of repair. I know I have a big project in front of me but am exited to get started. Thanks to all of you whose posts have led me to this decision .... and in advance to those of you will answer my hundreds of foolish questions. 🙂

20200829_114427.jpg

20200829_114505.jpg

20200829_124212.jpg

Edited by Belle Riv Devo (see edit history)
  • Like 7

Very nice.  Remember, the only foolish question is the one you don't ask. Hopefully you'll consider joining the ROA - Riviera Owners Assn.  - The group whose name is on the heading of this forum.

There's a link to the ROA website in my signature block. Information about membership is on the website.

Ed

Hello how was your weekend? Hope it was good I had a VIN inspection and got my car Titled and Registered last Thursday. It was the first time I got to drive it since it was shipped here. It drove and ran great had to muscle it a couple times need to replace power steering belt. Thought it needed to be tightened but looks like belt was little big no more adjustment left. Soon I will might have this 3 car garage to work on and park my car in. It comes with a home over half way through buying I had a blessed week.  Good night

genMid.972660_5_1.jpg

1963-buick-riviera.jpg

20200831_222727.jpg

20200831_222657.jpg

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Rivdrivn said:

Thanks, it’s cascade blue. The car came from the factory in triple blue. As much as it pains me, I am going to put a dark blue vinyl top on it so it will look factory fresh again.

Hopefully you have a big box of big band-aids.  

I'll advise you, as would others if they saw it first, you should turn your battery 180° so that the positive battery post is closer to the radiator. As it sits now, there's very little clearance between the positive post and the hood. Major short is eminent. Ask me how I know. 

31 minutes ago, RivNut said:

I'll advise you, as would others if they saw it first, you should turn your battery 180° so that the positive battery post is closer to the radiator. As it sits now, there's very little clearance between the positive post and the hood. Major short is eminent. Ask me how I know. 

Why no battery terminal boots?  They're like $5.

They'll eventually wear through. Why not just do it the way the Buick engineers designed it.  There are service bulletins that address the situation.  People worry about the smallest aesthetics wanting they're car to be factory perfect, but ignore the big stuff that could be a safety issue or a major financial setback, and it's not aesthetically correct. 

I learned this back in the 80's making a hard right-hand turn while driving over a bump. Seen sparks emit out the gap between the fender and hood.

Oops, I did 2 fixes immediately after, 1) Turned the battery around, 2) Installed the original battery clamp (modern battery is not as tall).

• Like 1