1940 Lincoln-Zephyr conv safety glass

Guest Jim Zephyr

Guest Jim Zephyr

just had a new top put on the Zephyr but insisted on using the old window with its original Ford script safety glass dated "4 40" Interesting that the code

for this glass is "ws" which means its the higher grade windshield glass different from the side windows - anyone out there have the script on their

rear conv window?

post-67972-143138225702_thumb.jpg

If I can ever FIND my original window I would be glad to help, lolol

I bought the "bug"stencils from a guy in Michigan to code date the new glass in my car Jim. I do know that the ws is for the windshield glass but I sure dont know for sure about the rear window, though I guess it would make sense.

The blue is of the stencil, you just work the acid through it, wait a few seconds and wipe off. The other photo is two of my first attempts.

Tom

post-55048-143138225977_thumb.jpg

post-55048-14313822598_thumb.jpg

Guest Jim Zephyr

nice work Tom! I will check the codes on all the glass and report back. I have heard the rear window glass is thinner than the other glass to help with the

sagging problem

Guest Jim Zephyr

just checked the codes under the Ford script - the rear window glass is "AS F WS" the windshield has the same "AS F WS" marking. The side windows have "AS F S"

I don't know for sure what any of that denotes other that the WS probably

means the higher clarity windshield glass?

any experts out there?

Jim,

Take a look at the side glass in your car, the vent windows as well as the door windows. Look at the glass from outside and tell me if one side is backwards when you look at it.

I heard the glass was all marked on the same side when manufactured and when installed, one side was backward.

Tom

Guest Jim Zephyr

com'on Jeff! all my markings are on the inside except for the drivers door which is in the lower right corner and on the outside of the glass - interesting.

Edited by Jim Zephyr (see edit history)

FROM THE LCOC AUTHENTICITY MANUAL: A Ford identifying mark was acid etched or pumace blasted into each pane of glass, including Cabriolet rear window. The mark is found at the lower corner of each pane of safety glass. 1940-1948, the oval type with a month date to the left of the FORD script and a year date to the right of the script. starting in November 1940, with the 1941 model the dates were changed to from numbers to a letter code. A (Jan) through I. (Dec) for the month and DA (1941) through DH (1948) for the year. The glass was manufactured months before the installation date. In late 1947 and thru the 1948 model a new design (shield) was also used on some glass though the old oval type was also used.

Also, the AS-F-WS stands for windshield and AS-F-S is the side glass.

The Continental Cabiolet and Coupe had special ideltifying marks for the rear windows. Cabriolet included words "SUPRA TEST safety FTW ASI-48-WS. The Coupe-- the word "HERCULITE" AS U 8 I

ALSO...Cabiolet Rear window used 1937 FORD type 78-715444 & -46 is regtangular and has 1/8" Safety Plate glass measuring 5 3/4 X 19 3/4" the 1941 -1948 used the FORD type 11A 7654220 & -24 Glass was 7 3/4 X 22 3/4"

Inner and outer frames were of the Pressed steel type. (not cast) Outer, Chrome, inner painted TOP BOW TAN. Screws, Chrome 5-40 oval.

From the "bible"...