'41 LC V-12 Generator Pulley

Paul K.

Do our generator pulleys have a woodruff key? The shaft on the generator has a slot, but the pulley does not. Also are some of the generator pulleys secured with a nut and others with a c-clip? My pulley fell off today and I never loosened it, nor can I remember if it had a nut. It doesn't look like the shaft is long enough to take a nut.

I believe that from the factory there was a clip on ft to lock the pulley in place. If the pulley has a slot for a woodruff key, then it came with one , I cannot say but it would seem logical...at some time in the past the armature was replaced..and if it is not slotted, then a nut will do..I almost lost my pulley same way...The nut isnt "correct" but functional.

Found a new pulley today at one of our Old Ford parts suppliers here in San Diego. The best part is he had an old aftermarket pulley made by Universal that was identical with the exception of not having a Ford part #. My car is an older restoration Barn Find so the part being at least 40 years old by the look of the box matches everything else under the hood.

I am still a bit uneasy about the pulley and installation. My generator shaft does not have a groove for a c-clip to prevent the pulley from coming off. The Ford manual shows such clip. I put some Loctite on the threads and screwed the pulley on, then added a thin c-clip on the end of the shaft being held on by the threads. I was thinking about filing a groove in the shaft for a c-clip, but the pulley may not be able to ever come off. ..mmm never coming off IS what I want.

Generator pulley will still not stay on. I screwed it on as hard as I could while holding the armature in my hand removed from its case. My generator shaft has no provision for a end clip which the shop manual shows. Others have the same set-up with no clip with no loose pulley problems, and mine stayed on fine up til a couple of days ago. Is there some way to really get this thing on tight? You cannot put the armature in a vise or it will be damaged. Thanks,

AHHHH HELLO, SEE POST ABOVE... I almost had disaster..pulley spun off when starting..at least I wasnt doin 80 down I-75!!

Get a thin nut and crank it down....or get an oem armature with clip groove..the nut on mine has held for 5000 miles...or next swap meet , pick up a used generator......

Tried the Loctite and it didn't hold either. I may have to resort to finding another generator with a groove for a clip, however, I don't see how the clip holds the pulley on because since the pulley is threaded, it will just unscrew and push off the clip. The clip in the book looks like it is made from round wire so maybe the pulley cannot grip the clip enough to push it off?

Before I buy another generator, I am going to go by my machine shop guy and have him look at it. He may be able to machine the shaft for a groove and offer other suggestions. If he cannot help, I may just try out my new Mig welder and tack the pulley to the shaft until I locate a used generator. I have been lucky twice and the pulley has not gone through the radiator, so I would rather make an irremovable generator pulley than buy a new radiator core.

Why not just stake the threads after installing the pulley? It is easy to do just take a center punch and punch a couple of places into the threads next to the nut. You will be able to remove the nut with a long bar on the tool but it will not come loose. Harry

Good idea Harry, but I haven't been able to find a nut thin enough to leave enough threads for staking. There is only about 1/4" possibly a little more of shaft from the armature sticking out beyond the pulley. I really appreciate all of the suggestions, but am still confused as to how these these pulleys stayed on in the first place?