gas tanks

i was wondering if their is a place these days that sells gas tanks? one for a 55 buick? or is it just one of those things you have or find and take to the shop to get flushed out and coated, like the radiator shops? or if anyone has one in good condition that would be great. thanks. mindy.

Did you check in Hemmings. I found a listing for gas tanks by American Designers in Knightstown, IN. their ph.# 765-345-2127. There may be more, I didn't look too thoughly.<P>------------------<BR>tsauto@v35.com<BR>AACA member

If your '55 has been in reasonably constant use, the gas tank may just need flushing - this is something most of us do with any older vehicle as a reasonable precaution. Some raditor shops will do it but many won't. After it's cleaned out, the coating part of the job is pretty easy. Get a can of tank coating from Bill Hirsch (I think he only handled the good type that won't dissolve with the modern gas) pour it in and the rotate the tank over and over till it's spread on all surfaces. Oh, don't forget to remove the gas gage pickup before you do that. Haven't had the need to find a new tank, but have seen some advertised in Hemmings.

I was at summer Carlisle a few weeks ago and saw a vendor that had many differant reproduction gas tanks for many years and makes. The prices were not out of line and they looked like stock. I did not get his name but I am sure he advertises in various magazines. By the time you mess around with your old one it would be cheaper and better to buy a replacement! I have a 55 Pontiac and he had a replacement for it so you should not have a problem.

yeah i did look in hemmings, i found 2 or 3 places i was going to call sometime this week. i did think about taking it to the place that flushed out and painted my radiator but i would rather buy a new tank considering somewhere along the line someone had put a fiberglass patch on the bottom. that is one thing i am weary about, i dont necessarily like having that on there. when we jacked it up to change the brake lines and wheel cylinders i noticed the bottom where the patch is, looked a little wet. not dripping or leaking, but sort of moist. im not sure if a place can fix something like that or if it would just be too much hassle. thanks a lot. mindy.

Archived