17 Dodge Touring door lock

Guest Darracq

Guest Darracq

I'm restoring the original upholstery on my 1917 Touring. I would have liked to leave it untouched but it was tearing a little bit more every time we used it.

The front passenger door lock does not always release and so previous users have wrenched it. This abuse has torn the door card and lost the door handle escutcheon.

I can't see a way into the lock mechanism to repair it, is it mendable or is it sealed in the door in manufacture?

Can anyone tell me where I can find a replacement door handle escutcheon for the front passenger side?

I have attached some photos of the repaired drivers side, the passenger side and the work in progress.

Thanks, Dave

post-67327-143138224687_thumb.jpg

post-67327-143138224707_thumb.jpg

post-67327-143138224725_thumb.jpg

post-67327-143138224743_thumb.jpg

I am assuming you are talking about the door latch, not lock? If you are trying to get the handle out, press in on the latch/plunger and the handle should lift out. It sets in a notch and is released when you press the plunger in. There is a spring behind the plunger. Clean it all up and lube it and it should be fine.

Guest Darracq

Thanks, I will try that. I guess I did mean door latch, but the master parts list I have called it a lock (even though it doesn't lock).

I still need to find the oval escutcheon that the door latch handle goes through, in the front passenger door upholstery panel.

Regards, Dave

Guest Darracq

Went over to see the car at the trimmers today, dismantled the door latch just as you said it would.

Many Thanks, Dave