1989 CRT/ Touch Screen

Guest Dan Cook

Guest Dan Cook

The CRT/touch screen goes blank from time to time in my '89. I'm wondering if it is time to replace it or maybe there is another problem?

Dan

Guest Dan Cook
Dan,

I do have a good one and replied the the email you sent me.

Jim

Jim, I sent you a return email.

• 3 months later...

Please tell me that this is easy to install. I suspect a simular problem with my Reatta. My crt display was wavy and pretty scuffed up screen wise.It would go dark then reappear as quick as it went. I swapped it out with a extra crt that came with the car when I got it. All was fine at first with crisp display and working great then on comes a message that says communication breakdown and the screen has been dark since then. Does this sound like a ALDL problem?Central power supply?

Does the IPC (speedo) still work ? The odometer ? If so then the CPS is most likely OK. The "communication breakdown" message probably came from the BCM. Did you try putting the original CRT back in ?

Where you want to start is with section 8A-83. See also the troubleshooting charts that begin with chart B-1 on page 8D-48 of the 88 FSM or 8D-26 of the 89 FSM (online).

There is also a CRTC (CRT Controller) that does the image processing.

Speedometer and odometer still work. Old crt unit also dark. Due to the age of my computer or some kind of virus I can't download the FSM online. I need to spend the money to upgrade or fix my computer or buy a FSM,for sure. Right now I'm so broke I can barely pay attention.

Spent a good chunk of yesterday and this morning messing with computer to download FSM. Today I'll call Office Depot or something like it to see about them printing up the parts of the manual recommended. Computer has me disgusted. Now back to the Reatta. Should I just go ahead and replace the ALDL. Is this something I can do myself?

Really, if you want to maintain a computer car, it is a good idea to understand them or have someone on call who does. Do not need to know the instruction set of a 68HC09 processor or the 8192 baud serial data stream on the ALDL but it helps.

No local nerd ?

I for the most part have no idea what I'm doing. Just trying to get my CRT working without intermittent problem of the screen going blank.
The best place to start is by answering questions like Padgett asked:

"Does the IPC (speedo) still work ? The odometer ? If so then the CPS is most likely OK. The "communication breakdown" message probably came from the BCM. Did you try putting the original CRT back in ? "

We need detailed information about the problem to help you diagnose it. Answers to the questions are very important part of the process of finding the problem.

Guest Mc_Reatta

I'd check connections to the CRT first and then suspect the CRTC if the display is screwy or blank. ALDL issues shouldn't make the CRT go dark, but should set a data loss or electrical problem error display.

I suspect it is an intermittent failure of the CRT or CRTC or a connection problem.

If the CPS was bad there should be other issues like the IPC going dark as well.

Having changed out the CRT with no change, I'd suspect the CRTC.

• 3 months later...
Guest JHefner

Hello All and Happy New Year!

I just joined this forum hopefully to help resolve a similar problem. I am doing this for my 83 year old dad who has an 89 black coupe with only 38K miles on it. He is not terribly car savvy other than knowing what he likes and dislikes in an automobile, and he loves his Reatta having owned it for over 20 years now, he is not computer or technically savvy.

The CRT/Touchscreen went blank several months ago but the Speedo/Fuel still displays. When you touch the screen in the appropriate location there is an audible beep and the switches and switch function lights along the CRT border work.

My dad lives in Brentwood, Tenn. outside of Nashville so I am doing this from afar as I live on the east coast of Florida. I spent some time over the holidays with the car and tried to trouble shoot as far as possible.

Any help and/or expertise would be greatly appreciated as I would like to get my dad back on the road again.

Thanks,

Jeff Hefner

jhef101@aol.com

321-779-0516 H

321-750-1833 C

Edited by JHefner (see edit history)

Guest Mc_Reatta

Welcome to the Forum!

I sent you a private email as we are neighbors.

Just went through this twice. You dad needs a replacement CRT or his repaired.

If it was local I would be happy to test it for you.

Dave and Jim will chime in if they have any good tested ones on hand so you can get you dad a late Christmas Present.

They are very easy to replace.