38 clutch adjustment

Guest rdcamit

Guest rdcamit

Does anyone know how to adjust the clutch of a 1938 Dodge RC truck? My truck grinds gears when I up shift and is really really bad to grind the gears when I try to down shift I almost have to come to a complete stop to down shift and they still grind when I finally get it to shift. Does anyone know how to adjust the clutch or what I need to do to help me out the Dodge service book is no help at all.:confused:

Guest DodgeKCL

Do you double clutch each time you shift? I believe these trucks still had 'crash boxes' i.e. no syncro in any gear. You have to pause at the neutral gate and release the clutch to allow the gears to match speeds and push the clutch in again and then shift finally into gear. The sequence takes just a moment longer but is quite necessary to avoid grinding gears.

Guest rdcamit

Thanks for the information Dodge KCL I will try that tomorrow when I take it out for a drive and let everyone know how it works.

Guest 36chev

And when gearing down you will need to "rev" the engine slightly while letting the clutch out and then pushing the clutch in again. The amount to rev the engine will vary according to how fast you are going and what gear you are going down to.

As stated by DodgeKCL, gearing up requires taking out of gear and letting off gas, hesitating a moment or so, letting the clutch out again, pushing clutch in and changing gears. The amount to hesitate will be determined by how much you wound out the engine in accelerating. The higher the rpm, the longer the hesitation to give the engine a chance to slow down.

It will take practice, especially the gearing down part. Going into first normally requires a complete stop (although I've found on my 36 Chevrolet at about 1-2 mph it will drop into first).

It sounds complicated, but once learned not difficult. It varies according to the vehicle and ratios, so that's why unable to give exact description.

Hope this helps.

I had a '46 Ford pickup that did that back in the late 70's. My Dad had me get it up against a tree and slip the clutch some. He thought there was probably some rust on the flywheel from it setting a long time. We didn't do it enough to make the clutch hot or anything like that, but it must have polished it up in there some as I didn't have much trouble with it after that. Double clutching those things takes some getting used to, but you can feel in the end of the shift lever when they are ready to go into the next gear after you learn the feel of the thing. That Ford wouldn't go very fast, but it sure would pull in low gear.