Found 1934 Hupmobile

Guest 34Hupster

Guest 34Hupster

Hi all, this is my first post.

I recently found a 1934 Hupmobile in a small town in the midwest region.

The lady who owns it says that it belonged to her late husband.

She aparently knows it has some value.

She wants $10,000 for the car.

The awesome thing is that it's a complete original car.

I have no idea what it's worth or what it would take to restore it. But I can't get it out of my head.

I registered here with the hopes of finding someone who might be interested in it or give me the push I would need to take on a project like this that I really don't want or need.

Here's a copy of the only picture I've been able to find of what the car would look like once restored. (see attached)

Comments and suggestions welcome

post-68151-143138223533_thumb.jpg

post-68151-143138223589_thumb.jpg

Edited by 34Hupster (see edit history)

You need to post some current pictures so that we can identify exactly what it is. The pictures will also allow guys with experience to give you an idea of how tough the restoration may be. Remember, most cars can be given to you for free and a full restoration later you will be under water. As for value, 8 or 6 cylinder and completeness make a big difference. I assume it's a 3 window coupe?

Btw, the picture you posted looks nothing like a 34 Hupp.

EDIT: Hmmmm, I thought all the 34s had the "aero look" with the modeled headlights. But I guess I'm wrong.

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)

If it looks like the car in the photo and is halfway desent that 10 grand asking price is a steal. There was one within the past 10 years in a Street Rod magazine, the body will interchange with a 1933-34 Ford if I remember things correctly. It looks like a 3Window Coupe, but it has Cabriolet style doors, giving a hardtop look to things. The value may be greater as a rod rather than a restoration.

I registered here with the hopes of finding someone who might be interested in it or give me the push I would need to take on a project like this that I really don't want or need.

My suggestion is to not start something like this if your heart is not in it. You will likely NOT make any money off a restoration and this is something that, if done right, will consume your attention and your wallet for many years. One caveat would be if you are getting a steal from an old lady who is undervaluing the car, you could then just flip it....but without pictures the folks here can't tell what it truly is or assist with any value determination.

If it is your passion then fine but these are not whimsical type endeavours, one should be in it for the long haul.....

Guest 34Hupster

Thanks all for your inputs. It's good to know there are a number of you interested enough to look further.

The car is under an awning of the owner's late husband's (now closed) body shop about 100 miles from my home.

I rarely go to the town where it is located. But I am curious enough (and adventurous enough) to take a day-trip to meet the lady and ask her if I can take some photo's.

If after that trip I don't personally want to go any further with it,... I will post the contact info for anyone else who may want to contact her and work something out.

The car according to the owner is a 1934 "hupmobile" and I looked at a lot of pictures before I found the one that I posted. I'm very sure it's the same model.

Guest 34Hupster
From poking around Google it may be a model W117 or W517. Hup used the Murray dies from Ford to make parts of the bodies. I may win Lotto, if so I'd be interested in the car.

Would anyone know how many were made and how many might still be around?

I don't know that I've ever seen one of these in person so I would say they are rare now. If it's complete & original it is worth the 10k she is asking (very easily). If it's in a million pieces and rusty then it gets trickier - hence the need for pictures. As 1937HD45 mentioned, they used the previous year's ford body. What's a nice 33 Ford 3 window body go for these days? More then 10k.

Guest 34Hupster

Thanks again for your comments.

I'll be contacting the owner soon and if nothing else, I will gather as much info and pictures (daytrip needed) and I'll be posting them here.

The exciting thing is the car (from all I can tell) is complete. It looks like it could be driven off the lot.

The first thing that blew my mind was that for such an obviously old car,... it loooked like there was only room for two people. Like a factory made roadster.

I'll contact the owner first and ask some questions and post some of her answers here even before the daytrip.

--Thanks again

Guest 34Hupster

***UPDATE***

Lord have mercy,.... how far do I want to take this?

I called the owner of the 1934 Hupp today.

I asked as many questions as she would tolerate.

It's with somewhat of a heavy heart that I share some of this information.

The majority of the original car is on hand and or intact.

Remember I said the husband owned and ran a body shop?

Well, he pulled the motor. He stored it behind his garage and it was promptly stolen. (possibly for scrap)

He paid someone to build and install a new motor. Type and size unknown.

He re-enforced the frame to accomondate the new motor.

He paid a local glass shop to replace all the glass.

The original size of the motor is (for now) unknown.

The original rear end is on hand,... but the car has a new rear end (possibly ford 8 inch) installed.

The owner has a clear title.

The owner still wants 10K

The 'continental kit' is on hand (condition unknown).

I have the owners permission to come down and take some photographs and to post them here.

Finally,.... I don't know where to go from here. I can tell already that I can not afford this as a project even as I could (possibly) afford the car itself.

Are there any members reading this who live in the South Western Indiana area who would like to investigate this further?

--LB

The car may still be worth somewhere around the 10k but like most "finds" it's not as perfect as initially hoped. If you can get some pictures that would be great. If its too far then I think posting this on the hupp forum, perhaps with a link to this thread would find a local hupp club guy that would be willing to go look at it and post some pictures.

Guest 34Hupster
The car may still be worth somewhere around the 10k but like most "finds" it's not as perfect as initially hoped. If you can get some pictures that would be great. If its too far then I think posting this on the hupp forum, perhaps with a link to this thread would find a local hupp club guy that would be willing to go look at it and post some pictures.

Thanks.

I'm trying to get the owners permission to post the address of the car and her contact info and hopefully someone closer will provide some pictures.

I don't want to take the trip if there is no chance I will buy the car.

In addition, I received a PM from someone who claims to know more about the car and has also checked into it. If we can confirm it's the same car, I'll share some of that info too.

Meanwhile,... does anyone live in southwestern Indiana that might want to help out?

--LB

• 1 year later...
Guest Norm Coulter

I recently purchased the 1934 hupmobile located in southern Indiana. It is truly a super find and a very rare car. I would like to sell the car if anyone is interested. I am asking $12,500 obo. Contact Norm at 812-360-2851.

Guest Norm Coulter

I recently purchased the 1934 hupmobile located in Salem, IN It is truly a super rare find. The car has a few rust issues (not many). It has a 283 Chevy motor, it also comes with the original front clip (solid axle) and the rear end along with the wire wheels. For additional details and questions please feel free to give me a call Norm 812-360-2851 I am asking $12,500 OBO.

Guest Norm Coulter

I tried to post pictures last night, but I can't figure out how to make them small enough so they will post. I will try again tonight.. in the meantime, anybody who is interested, can look at pictures on Ebay, item #290661847266. Thanks!

Guest Norm Coulter

Chuck, The vin number is W7597. The Car is a series number 417. Let me know if you have any additional questions. Thanks!! Norm

I tried to post pictures last night, but I can't figure out how to make them small enough so they will post. I will try again tonight.. in the meantime, anybody who is interested, can look at pictures on Ebay, item #290661847266. Thanks!

If you limit your photo pixel size to 2000 pixels maximum in both directions it should load.

Guest Norm Coulter

Chuck--

I can't post the literature because I don't have a scanner, but here is a picture of 1935 Hupmobile showing the sunroof. It looks like a true "sunroof" from the picture. Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Norm

post-78105-143138817734_thumb.jpg

Norm I have to apologize, I was only trying to make a joke. The thing that looks like a sun roof is there because the Murry body company ,like most could not press steel to make the whole shell. It was made up of a wooden frame and chicken wire with padding on top and then a canvas insert to keep the weather out. Either 1935 or 1936 GM produced full steel top that they called the ( Turret Top) . But in 1937 Olds. & Pontiac did make a 4dr sedan with a roof that slid back much like the VW.bug in the early 60's with a sun roof. I do have a pic of 1 of these cars but it is up north. If no one posts a pic I will do so in April. Chuck