Very Rare '56 Corvette Pedal Car on eBay

Guest Avanti

Guest Avanti

I had heard rumors about the existence of these "Kiddie Corvettes" but had never seen one until now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330437893026

Eska1956-1957KiddieCorvetteFront-1.JPG

My friend lived next-door to a retired Chevy dealer in Kansas who told him about '56 Vette pedal car giveaway that sold more full-size Chevy's than any other promotion at the time. Kids would drag their parent into the showrooms and the salesmen would take over. Not all dealers could get the junior Vette's and the ones outside the big cities had to pull strings with the corporate boys. A fascinating piece of GM history.

Edited by Avanti (see edit history)

Guest Avanti
My friend sold a red one probably 10-12 years ago for about $350.00!

Wayne

Are you sure it was the same thing? There are '57 Vette "Stroller" bodies out there that owners paint and customize themselves. They are considerably smaller than the "Kiddie Corvette". Here are some examples of the stroller.

corvettestrollers.jpg

The original "Kiddie Corvette" was only available in white with red interior. It has never been duplicated or re-released, which is surprising considering how easy it would be to rip-off. That is if you can find one to rip-off.

KiddieCorvettePiggyBank.jpg

Guest Avanti
My friend sold a red one probably 10-12 years ago for about $350.00!

Wayne

Judging on the silence, I guess your friend had one of the cheaper and more plentiful stroller Vettes.

Even a decade ago, the Eska Vette (sold by a knowledgable collector) would have commanded 1k+.

• 1 month later...

One of those "strollers" showed up at a downsizing/estate auction near here a few weeks ago. I had intended to go and bid it, but someone pulled strings and bought it prior to auction date.

It had originally belonged to one of my high school classmates who, oddly enough, was never much of a gearhead or car guy as he outgrew his Vette. Going by the auction picture, it had never been painted.

I'm told there were 1974 Hurst/Olds Pace car go-karts though I've never seen one or known anyone who has. The 72 and 83, while not common, can be found.

Guest Avanti

The "strollers" are pretty worthless. They are only available as bodies and the casting is horrendous. Avoid the overprced ones on eBay. In fact, avoid them all.

Now the "Kiddie Corvette" is a different story. They were vintage 1956 and highly sought-after by discerning collectors. I understand the one on eBay eventually sold for over $3,500!

• 3 weeks later...

Avanti- when were these original "stroller" bodies made? The one I'm talking about would have to have been made in the late 50s as Allan and I are both 53 years old...:o

The seat area in the auction pictures looked very much like the ones in the "stroller"- no "upholstery" texture, more or less a shelf for the kid to sit on.

Guest Avanti
Avanti- when were these original "stroller" bodies made? The one I'm talking about would have to have been made in the late 50s as Allan and I are both 53 years old...:o

The seat area in the auction pictures looked very much like the ones in the "stroller"- no "upholstery" texture, more or less a shelf for the kid to sit on.

The "stroller" bodies which you can still buy online for beween $50 and $150 were made by illegally casting an old Chinese-made toddler push car - the kind where small children push the car along with their feet. It was available in the 80's and early 90's. The bodies are much smaller than the ESKA "Kiddie Corvette" and the proportions are not nearly as accurate. The seat is very shallow and the windshield is cast into the fiberglass. They were never pedal-powered.

The one you saw in the late 1950's was most likely the pedal-powered "Kiddie Corvette". It was an exact 1/3 scale replica with accurate proportions and deeper seating area as well as a unique two-speed transaxle. They were only available in white with red interior.

Edited by Avanti (see edit history)

• 3 years later...
  • 6 years later...
On 12/3/2013 at 6:02 PM, Shawnhesson said:

I have one of these, not in the best of shape . Any idea what it's worth?

Hello Shawn,

I just found this post. Did you ever get an answer to your question? I have the frame of one and am interested in finding the parts or a whole one. Do you still have yours?

Dean