Power Injection warning lamp '85 Riviera???

A friend of mine from Topkea drove over the other day to show me his car. Very nice '85 Riviera with 47K on it. Fully equipped except for a moon roof.

Anyway, he asked me about the Power Injection warning light that he's seen occasionally. I told him that I'd never heard of one or seen one on my car, but that I'd planned on replacing some lamps soon so I'd check on it. Today I pulled the covers from the warning lamps, held the lens up to a light, and lo and behold there it was. (See attached) It's right above the right turn signal lamp.

Can anyone tell me anything about this warning lamp?

Thanks,

Ed

I believe it's part of a left over plan to put water or water/methanol injection on the Turbo cars. If I'm remembering correctly the G-bodies also have a simular warning light slot in thier clusters just as they don't have a low fuel module but have the light for it.

But why would it have a bulb in it and light up on a 5.0 liter carbureted V8?

I Googled it and found a reference to it on a Turbo Regal forum, but the guy there was answering a question about interchanging Riviera and Regal speedometer clusters. They're exactly the same part # but for some reason, which he couldn't explain, the Riviera cluster had the Power Injection in it where the Regal didn't.

?????

Ed

Ed,

GM is a huge corporation that serves many masters as well. Many times a planned option didn't pan out or was legislated out of existance by the EPA or CAFE requirements. As lead times for changes in the 80's were huge compared to now, sometimes these things would show up. Power Injection was likely made history by the fact that 85 was the last year for the Turbo V-6 in the Riviera and that the "A" body Regal Turbo V-6 was slated to become intercooled, doing the same job that water/methanol injection would do on a "hot air" engie.

I remember when the 1978 "A" body Olds Cutlass was downsized, no diesel engine was available yet for the Cutlass (the EXREMELY underpowered 260 diesel wouldn't show up until 79) but the wait light was already a part of the warning lamp cover.

As far as the bulb being in there and operating, I would suspect that it may have been installed accidentally when some instrument panel lamps were replaced. Just some speculation on a interesting topic!

Tim

Tim,

Thanks for the explanation. I know that when I took the lens off mine today there was a bulb in that slot. The only reason my friend from Topeka mentioned it was because his has lit up a couple of times. I know that my car doesn't have the optional low fuel sensor on it and there is no bulb in that slot. We can cuss and discuss this more in Harrisburg. :)

Ed

Hi, I'm the guy from Topeka with the odd warning light on my '85 Riviera's message center. The car has a digital dash (I don't care for the fuel gauge) and I've had to replace the hot water valve and actuator and temp control actuator. This is my first time on here so I hope you'll forgive my computer illiteracy.

The power injection light seems to come on when the car is under a load (starting and taking off in cold weather) but it did come on yesterday when I pulled up a slight incline to my rented garage and before I put it in park to go around and open up the overhead door from inside.

Just curious.

Bruce W.

'85 Riviera

'77 Electra Limited Landau Coupe

'64 Mercury Marauder 2-door fastback

'04 Mercury Marauder

'06 Lexus ES 330

'00 Toyota Tundra

'02 Dodge Intrepid (son's beater)

Hi, I'm the guy from Topeka with the odd warning light on my '85 Riviera's message center. The car has a digital dash (I don't care for the fuel gauge) and I've had to replace the hot water valve and actuator and temp control actuator. This is my first time on here so I hope you'll forgive my computer illiteracy.

The power injection light seems to come on when the car is under a load (starting and taking off in cold weather) but it did come on yesterday when I pulled up a slight incline to my rented garage and before I put it in park to go around and open up the overhead door from inside.

Just curious.

Bruce W.

'85 Riviera

'77 Electra Limited Landau Coupe

'64 Mercury Marauder 2-door fastback

'04 Mercury Marauder

'06 Lexus ES 330

'00 Toyota Tundra

Funky, I have an 85 V-8 Riv with a digital dash as well, I can see the "Power Injection" along side the cluster in the right light, but it has never come on in the 6 years and 30000 miles I have driven it.

I have seen the light come on in Kevin Kinney's 85 Turbo rag top with the digital dash. My father's 84 Turbo rag top and digital dash does the same thing under boost as well. I assume it just lights up under the same conditions that my "boost guage" on my analog dash with a tach does on my Turbo cars.

BUT.

What makes it come on in a V-8 car?

I go to the Lake for the Holiday weekend and ya find something interesting... Can't leave home for nothing.... LOL

I have taken apart many Riv's 79 to 85 in the yards and been in mine more times than I care to admit. (83/84/85's). I've only seen the light filter with that light on the 84/85 Riv's then they continued with the G-bodies to 87. I've NEVER seen a light bulb or even a socket behind the filter for these that I have encountered. Attached is a pic of what that side of my dash had the very first time I ever worked on my gray 85 /w 307. As you can see the hole is just a hole, no socket! That's odd Ed's 307 would have a bulb there. I can tell you there are three light options on the right side that are hard wired -- the others are sockets that use the printed circuit. Service Engine Soon, Car is leveling and low washer fluid. The low washer fluid socket is on all the cars, just taped to the harness. As you can see from the other picture there were only 3 hard wired lights on this 85 I parted out. The security light socket is hardwired but that socket/wire combo is not included with the basic wiring harness.

Funny this should come up. As I replaced the bulbs in the free Riv a few months ago I put some of the hard wired sockets in for aftermarket goodies later on down the road. One was for Power injection. I planned on using the hobbs switch that the turbo cars used (pictured) tie into a vac source and use the power inj light similar to the way the early 80's Riv's used the Economy light.

I would love to see this light working factory on Bruces car and trace it to the source to see what they used or how it was hooked up. In 79 to 81 there was an option to order an "fuel usage light". It was basically the pictured hobbs switch just like the ones the turbo cars used, connected to a vac source. low or moderate vacuum/throttle left the light Green, while heavy vac/trottle turned on the orange light! Maybe someone hooked this one up in the past like I'm planning on doing with my Free Riv?

My 84 turbo Riviera has a digital dash and only the two turbo indicators on the dash light up. Paul S. - did you say one of your relatives turbo cars with the digital dash has the power injection light that lights up? What Tim said about the injection sounds about right though.

I've included some info on the dashes lights that I collected in the past for a debunked project! It shows the different lights used.

post-48336-143138224261_thumb.jpg

post-48336-143138224265_thumb.jpg

post-48336-143138224267_thumb.jpg

post-48336-143138224273_thumb.jpg

Edited by sosuzguy (see edit history)
  • 2 weeks later...

There may be a possibility this has been figured out.

I've been talking with Jayson. He thought the socket for car is leveling (I have never seen it come on) could have been screwed in behind the wrong indicator. He suggested I have someone sit in the rear seat or on the bumper and see what happened with the compressor and lights.

I had my son sit on the bumper. I got in the car, turned the key on with the transmission in reverse and my foot on the brake as Jayson had suggested. At first nothing happened with either the compressor or the light. I had him stand up and the compressor and light both came on briefly. We did the same procedure again with no result the first time and when getting up and then sitting back down the compressor and power injection light came on briefly. This sounded like the answer to Jayson.

Now I don't know if want to pursue it because it sounds like it may be too advanced a project for me.

Thanks for everybody's help.

Bruce W.

_______

'85 Riviera

'77 Electra Limited landau coupe

'64 Mercury Marauder

'04 Mercury Marauder

'06 Lexus ES 330

'00 Toyota Tundra

_______

In a galaxy long a ago and far away, among 21 others