For Sale 65 Riviera

ericwolf

1965 Buick Riviera, full frame off restoration 3 years ago, numbers matching, original Burgundy Mist metallic base clear paint, 401 Nailhead, Turbo 400 3 speed automatic, PW, AC, power antenna, power trunk, rear defogger, AM/FM radio, rally rims, rocker trims, stock custom interior, 4 note horns, Broadway Classic radial tires. Everything on this car was taken apart, stripped to bare metal and is either new or has been totally rebuilt.

First Place Senior Award Winner at the Buick Nationals in Bellevue, Washington in 2007.

Many more pictures available before, during and after the restoration.

Asking $43,000, located near Vancouver, British Columbia.

post-53087-143138222449_thumb.jpg

post-53087-143138222464_thumb.jpg

post-53087-143138222479_thumb.jpg

post-53087-143138222494_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ejc65

Hi Eric,

Two questions for you where did you get the trunk liner and hoe much $$. I bought mine from Clarks it seems to have too much brown strans but this is me looking at it un installed( may be an optical illusion) Also who did you get the wood kit from I got mine from Cars and it has no finish to it, and it fit poorly.

Thanks

Eric

Eric,

If you can, post a picture of the trunk lining you got from Clark's. The original did in fact have quite a bit of heavy brown thread in it. I can tell you how close it is to the original if you can post the picture.

I think Calvin went to quite a bit of trouble to have his mat made to OE specs, or as close as he could get to it.

Ed

Bueautiful trunk!

What size tire do you use for the spare? Mine fits snug up against the torsion bars supporting the trunk lid. My spare is also mounted on the ralleye wheel which is a little wider, 6" compared to 5.5" for the standard wheel.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Marty

Marty,

If a 63-64 Riviera originally came with the 7.10 x 15 tires, the wheels were 5.5" wide. If the car had the optional 7.60 x 15 tires, the wheels were 6" wide. No matter which tire/wheel combo came on the car originally, the spare would have been the same size and would have fit in the space alloted. I'm thinking that you're running a somewhat bigger tire on your car compared to what came originally. In '65 the Riviera came with 8.45 x 15 tires. I don't know if there were two rim widths for '65; I've never owned a '65.

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Marty,

If a 63-65 Riviera originally came with the 7.10 x 15 tires, the wheels were 5.5" wide. If the car had the optional 7.60 x 15 tires, the wheels were 6" wide. No matter which tire/wheel combo came on the car originally, the spare would have been the same size and would have fit in the space alloted. I'm thinking that you're running a somewhat bigger tire on your car compared to what came originally.

Ed

The optional tire for the '65 is an 8.45 x 15.

post-52936-143138234716_thumb.jpg

Edited by Patrick91914 (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Even though the 63/64 had the optional 7.60/ 15 tires, they're not that much smaller than the 65's 8.45/15. In '65 the tire manufactures changed the way the tires were designated; I've been lead to believe that the aspect ratio was changed.

The attached chart show how the7.60/15 tires through '64 and the 8.45/15 tires from '65 t0 '70, even though they are designated differently, are replaced with the same radial when making a conversion.

Ed

Tire Tech - Tire Size Conversion Chart

You'll have to scroll down a ways to find the chart.

Point is, unlike the earlier models, no 5.5 inch rims by `65, at least not on the big Buicks, and the 8.45 was the standard size for `65, not optional or oversize.

Also, in regard to the conversion chart, it appears they are comparing tire diameters and not necessarily widths. The conversion represents a "range", not exact sizing. See the disclaimer at the bottom of the chart.

I did a very quick search as to a change in the tire size rating method for `65 and didn`t find anything?? Ed, do you have a link to this info beside the conversion chart?

Tom

Tom,

I did some other internet searches and didn't find anything different than what I posted, but I did call a guy I know here in town who's been in the tire business his whole life. He told me that the original 7.10 and 7.60 tires that were on the 63/64 models and the 8.45 tires what were on the 65 models had a different aspect ratio, even though aspect ratios weren't molded into the sidewalls of the tires. The 7.10 and 7.60 were "90" aspect ratio tires and the 8.45's were "80" aspect ratio tires. If that is the case (and I can only go on what he told me,) then the 7.60 "90" series tires, and the 8.45 "80" series tires would have approximately the same circumference. So the radial tires that we're using for replacements would be the same for all three years. The same size replacements are also listed on the ROA website for the different sizes 63/64 and 65. The ROA site also lists an 8.85 tire for the '65. Is there any reference to this tire in any of your literature?

In the chart I posted, there is a reference to 90 and 80 series tires above the two columns where those tires are listed.

Ed

I'm going back and editing my other to posts in this thread to correct what I said about the size of the '65 tires.

There is no reference to an oversize tire option in the `65 owner`s manual, the salesman`s manual or the wholesale car order form.

There is only one reference to oversize tires for the `65 Riv in the service manual. That reference is in error, as is the ROA website, because Buick`s Daily Car Reports clearly indicate Buick did not build any `65 Rivieras with oversize tires.

Tom