ripped off

Guest 1930

Guest 1930

I would like some suggestions, many months ago I sent payment for a key book that was advertised here from another user of this forum, I sent payment immidialtely after it was asked for and my account shows the check was cashed. I have sent e-mails and private mesages to this other user and I was just getting excuses such as her being too busy milking the goats but would get it out to me soon.

I have tried by telephone ( she gave me her # before this specific transaction ) and left messages with no call back. This has been 3-4 months now and she is still advertising items on this AACA site for sale. I contacted someone on this site that said maybe they could help, they checked with someone at AACA and was told that they could do nothing, that I should call the local police.

Thats a joke and we all know it, is there anyone that monitors this site or anyone at AACA headquarters that will do anything about this. I have all messages in my private messages folder, its clear as day. I find it hard to believe that this site will allow this person to continue selling stuff here.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Calling the police is only a joke when you don't call them. This sounds like mail fraud covered under Title 18 of the U.S. Code, Chapter 63, mail Fraud and Other Fraud Offenses:

§ 1341. Frauds and swindles

Whoever, having devised or intending to devise any scheme or artifice to defraud, or for obtaining money or property by means of false or fraudulent pretenses, representations, or promises, or to sell, dispose of, loan, exchange, alter, give away, distribute, supply, or furnish or procure for unlawful use any counterfeit or spurious coin, obligation, security, or other article, or anything represented to be or intimated or held out to be such counterfeit or spurious article, for the purpose of executing such scheme or artifice or attempting so to do, places in any post office or authorized depository for mail matter, any matter or thing whatever to be sent or delivered by the Postal Service, or deposits or causes to be deposited any matter or thing whatever to be sent or delivered by any private or commercial interstate carrier, or takes or receives therefrom, any such matter or thing, or knowingly causes to be delivered by mail or such carrier according to the direction thereon, or at the place at which it is directed to be delivered by the person to whom it is addressed, any such matter or thing, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 20 years, or both. If the violation occurs in relation to, or involving any benefit authorized, transported, transmitted, transferred, disbursed, or paid in connection with, a presidentially declared major disaster or emergency (as those terms are defined in section 102 of the Robert T. Stafford Disaster Relief and Emergency Assistance Act (42 U.S.C. 5122)), or affects a financial institution, such person shall be fined not more than $1,000,000 or imprisoned not more than 30 years, or both.

Patrick is right, but getting the Federal system to handle a small fraud like this is about impossible. Have you tried sending a message to the AACA webmaster. I would think that Peter would be glad to try to get the other user to make it right for you. Hopefully, this is a one time thing and there is some sort of semi-reasonable explanation.

Edited by MCHinson (see edit history)

Guest bofusmosby

Perhaps you should post this persons name, so the rest of us know not to buy anything from her again. 3-4 months is waaay too long to have to be waiting for her to finish milking the goats. I am not wanting to run someones good name into the mud, but if the shoe fits.........

Maybe her goat at it?

OK, the person at HQ was me! My advice was based on almost 7 years of history dealing with these issues. I know of policemen who have visited various people and nudged them into doing what was right before things escalated. My advice was as sound as I could give you without you having to spend a lot of money.

The person who has allegedly defrauded you is not an AACA member. If they were I would be happy to try and assist you. Even if they were a member our only remedy would be to remove them from the club. What does Hemmings and other magazines do? If they get enough legitimate complaints or a complaint is proven they simply ban them from doing business again. We can do that but it does not solve your problem. Today was the first time I heard of this issue and did not think she still was advertising...I can fix that one. However I was not given the information she was still advertising and do not spend 24 hours a day on this forum. In the morning I will ban her until we get an explanation but I cannot retrieve your money. A sympathetic local police officer may help and as stated above and it is no joke.

As far as naming individuals who have or allegedly have been dishonest we have made our selves clear that we cannot allow that to happen. Not because we do not want to but because we do not want to spend any more time defending ourselves legally. The forums are free. All of us who buy or sell here do it at their own risk.

Guest 1930

I gave the information that she was still advertising up until as soon as a couple of weeks ago in my initial report to the person whom contacted you so I dont see why or how that could have been ommitted as that was an obvious key piece of this puzzle. You say that now you will .......In the morning I will ban her until we get an explanation but I cannot retrieve your money...........That is the best that I could ask for and would be all that I could ask for, I dont expect anyone to retrieve my money, I couldnt possibly care any less about the money, if I remember correctly it was only twenty dollars but the thought of someone taking money from anyone is not right and it dosent reflect what this site is all about.

I dont know all the rules of the forum but I do not that I cannot name names, I dont have to, most of the info is in my previous posts anyway.

I should have been clearer, calling the police over a twenty dollar item is a joke, imagine the hours spent trying to go that route.

Hey maybe your right, THE GOAT ATE IT !!!!!Sickening!

Transaction took place first part of Feb and she is still selling items as of 19 hours ago of this writing.

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

The facts are that I was not told she was continuing to advertise. The fact is last night I was working off my phone to post and did not have access to my work computer at 10:00 but still took the time to answer you.

You have been given good advice by at least three people on this forum and you can choose to accept it or not. I am locking this thread down as you think we have a means to force this apparently dishonest person to do the right thing. The transaction took place in Feb and yesterday was the first time we were presented the problem. You had several months to contact her and are giving us less than a day! Nothing more can be accomplished here. She will get a PM and her posting privileges stopped until we get an answer.

In less than 24 hours, we have taken your word that what you are telling us is true, temporarily banned the seller and removed her posts. I have personally asked her for her side of the story and asked that she contact you and remedy the situation. That is all we can do. If this is not satisfactory than you will need to find your own remedies. If he choose to believe that law enforcement will not do anyting over $20 that is your right. I know for the fact some will.

Edited by Steve Moskowitz
new info (see edit history)