My next project? 1921 Packard Coupe.

However I find it difficult to understand why you earlier queried that my painter, Dave, preferred to leave his work for a week to harden before sending the job out.

Bernie, you have an elephant's memory! I'm painting usually only chassis parts and I have the bad habit to spray too much paint, with some runs. When the time comes to rub down the parts, I noticed that the runs takes longer to get cured. A good painter do no runs, therefore his surface is quickly ready. A regular paint shop cannot afford to let a vehicle so long between coats. However, I understood that your painter is something different.

Hi Roger

Through the day Dave paints new Cobra Replicas for very demanding customers and does most of his "Vintage" work after normal shop hours and at weekends. He uses modern two pack paint in a modern state of the art booth with all the best practice equipment and safety gear. The Packard Body and hood (the brown bits) are to be painted this weekend.

Bernie J.

Hi guys,

I do something a little different on my small parts. I buy an etch primer so after bringing the part back to bare metal I give it a spray with the Etch Primer. After drying I then coat with VHT Engine paint ( spray can ). Two coats and then into the oven. I have a small kitchen oven in the garage and I made a little hanging rack and I bake the parts after spraying them VHT products "cure" after baking them. I've had really good results and a tough finish. Unfortunately the down side of having an oven in the garage is that my wife often threatens me she'll throw a frozen pie at me and shut the garage door so I can make my own lunch :D

Hi Ian

You still have to see my garage. It would probably fit inside your oven. Having said that I doubt that a Packard Steering box with column attached would fit.

I too use etch primer, only Kil-rust and Kil-rust gloss black all out of spray cans.

This usually air dries in 24 hours perfectly smooth and ripple free but it does not forgive clumsy operatives.

The Good news is that the body is now safe and sound in Dave's booth ready for him to start in the morning.

My next task is to complete a BOOK REVIEW to send off to a couple of Magazines.

Bernie J.

post-51681-1431388223_thumb.jpg

post-51681-143138822306_thumb.jpg

What better job for a Sunday morning? The perfectionists out there will be pleased to learn that this morning I have stripped that pesky steering column back to bare metal and have started over again. Meanwhile the body will have received its new coat of dark chocolate brown and will be sitting in the booth gently baking. It should be ready for its journey back to East Doncaster and be ready to be refitted back onto the chassis frame. Anybody feeling strong? It has to be lifted (carefully) purely by man power.

Bernie J.

Bernie, way to easy of a restoration for you. I can recognize it as a car versus a pile of rusted parts.

But, she sure would be a beauty, brought back from the edge of extinction.

Hello John

Sometimes it does you good to look back. If only I had looked into my crystal ball back then. At least I can still smile perhaps this is because my bank balance is so much lighter and I have torn out most of my remaining hair in the interim.

Just think what else I could have been doing? All those days, weeks,months, since May 28 2010

At least I know more about Packards than I did two years ago and have made quite a few new friends as well.

Bernie J

Edited by oldcar (see edit history)

Sorry Terry & 'B'

My overdraft will not extend to the cost of air tickets can you come by train?

Probably I can lift it on the same way as I got it off but I will have to screw a couple of lengths of timber between the door pillars to lift from. I just have to be a little more careful. I will have to turn the car around so I can push it under the body rear end first. That way I can do it single handed.

It is a great way to keep fit.

Bernie J.

Hi 'B'

I will meet you at the station at about quarter to nine! Chatanooga Choo Choo.

On a more serious note I have just returned from Dave's workshop with the two doors the luggage trunk lid and the cowl vent. The body tub comes on a tilt tray tomorrow. meanwhile some more photographs. Sorry about the traces of polish and the reflections. You can check for ripples in the one of the door on a stand.

Bernie J.

post-51681-14313882622_thumb.jpg

post-51681-143138826226_thumb.jpg

post-51681-143138826234_thumb.jpg

I'll be leaving from Pennsylvania station on track 29, so be sure to be there on time!!

Now, Seriously... I wish I were there to help, If I were, I'd be more than happy to lend a hand.... Best of luck with a beautiful car and paint job...B

Hello Again 'B'

We have to be careful we may be showing our age or all sorts of political correctness or incorrectness depending on which side of the line you fall or stand as the case may be.

Only one thing is sure, the only way is forward. Jim my friendly tilt tray driver is picking up the main body 'tub' first thing tomorrow morning. This being accomplished I should be busy again for quite a few days to come. Watch this space.

Bernie J.

Hi Ian

Right now the body is sitting next to the chassis in my carport I hope to lift it into place in the next day or so. To my knowledge with "vintage" cars Dave does not do a clear over but on some modern cars he does. You would have to ask him. Jim my tilt tray man is very reasonable I have just paid him for the last three trips back and forth to Bayswater and out to Lillydale and back and I got change out of $250.00. so you can work it out. What is more important to me is that he is pleasant to deal with, very careful with what he is loading, carrying and unloading and he usually comes when he says he will. I have used quite a number of towing firms over the past 40+ years. I used to own my own Tandem trailer and a big tow car. It is just not worth all the pain. Jim costs less than Trailer hire and makes shifting cars easy.

Bernie J.

Hi Keiser31

It took a long time and dozens if not hundreds of bruised shins to work that one out. They also save the doors on Helens VW from lots of nasty little dents and chips. Re the earlier photographs. Being "super-man" I lifted the body back onto the chassis by myself. The little mysterious piece of chain hanging from the carport ceiling tells the whole story. Pun intended.

Bernie J.

That's looking beautiful! I also love the running board bracket "shin protectors". I will have to do that 'cause I am so tired of running into those on my '31.

I think I am ready for a set of those myself. I was thinking of wearing soccer shin guards but this looks neater.

Hi all

Don't expect any dramatic new photographs today. I am doing boring things like fitting the eight bolts holding the body down. I am using new bolts but to pacify the purists I will grind the brand and grade markings off the heads. I have already done this for the couple of dozen 1/4 inch bolts that will secure the valances and most of the other new bolts that I use. I use a part worn flap wheel on the angle grinder(clamped in the vice) as this is quick and less aggressive. I know that once the seats and trim, carpet etc go in these won't be seen but at least I know that they will look "right"...

Tomorrow my son Steve (who is good at these things) is coming to help me hang the doors and set up the gaps correctly.

Bernie J.

Hi Ian

I should not be giving all my secrets away but as he is very close for you, I have been using Tony McConnell in Eltham for years. He understands the requirements for our sort of cars very well. Mention that you have been talking to me when you go to see his standard of work. I am sure you will not be disappointed.

Bernie J.

Hi Roger

Fear not

The bulk of the windscreen is already in hand. Most of the basics were done quite some time ago. All we now need to do is to confirm the angle where the pillars mount onto the side of the scuttle. This could not be calculated until the body was back on the chassis. The paint will be well protected during this operation. In some ways it would be better if this final calculation were done after the radiator is mounted, something that is still a little way down the track. My completion date is not until early 2014 so we still have a little time in hand. In fact the windscreen could be the second last thing to be fitted.

Bernie J.

Hello Again

Again another fruitful day with Steve's invaluable assistance we have got both doors and the luggage trunk lid fitted and the gaps adjusted. Unfortunately by the time we finished the sun was in exactly the wrong place for good photography. so one below standard photograph. I will try for some more in the morning.

Bernie J.

post-51681-143138830278_thumb.jpg

Hi John

All things being equal you may be right but as a 75 year old retiree I live on a very limited, fixed income. Unfortunately my bank balance does not always keep up so I am forced to pace myself accordingly. Also and this sounds like a contradiction, I would like to rebuild the Lagonda Rapier's preselector gearbox before we go away with it to England & France in 2014. This will probably be the last of these five yearly trips we do. You just have to plan ahead.

Bernie J.

Guest Backyardmechanic

Real cool, nice.Just A thought BOY wouldn't that Packard look real sharp in Orange wheels and pin strips. :)

LOVE that Paint job.

Vern

Hi Vern

Good to hear from you. I an afraid that I am just a bit too conservative for orange wheels. My choice is to match the interior trim and top which will be biscuit. with biscuit pin-stripeing. Brown pin-stripes on the wheels This will be kept to a single line along the waistline and high-lightng each louvre on the hood. All very understated.

Another photograph I still cannot get the lighting right. Too many darned reflections.

Bernie J.

post-51681-143138831509_thumb.jpg

Not a lot of action on the Packard today. Fitted the amp meter/oil gauge into the dash and screwed down the rear floor etc again. This was removed to give easier access to the body hold down bolts. Rest of the day given to preparing the Lagonda for the VSCC Night Navigation Trial this evening. This amounted to checking the oil and water levels, both OK, wiping off the dust and cleaning the windshield. Finally a fresh coat of "Rain-ex" on the outside of the windshield. The forecast is for rain followed by storms. Hopefully we will be home by about 2.am.

Bernie J.

Hi Bernie,

Thanks for the contacts you have given me. I have spoken to that trimmer a long time ago and liked his work. I,ll also see Grant White in Rosanna who I have also been recommended to. I'm very happy with the painter and am looking forward to getting mine painted. He wanted me to ring him in March so can't wait. You car is looking great and enjoy the photos. Do you have the contact phone number for your tray truck guy. I'd rather give work to people we trust and in turn they'll look after us.

I'm in the process of trying to restore my hubCaps. I'm trying to fix some splits in the sides but can't solder to save my life. But with a bit of patients (running out) ill get there.

Hope you had a good weekend

ian

Hi Ian

It is 1.29a.m. and we have just come in from a very damp night's motoring. We cannot believe that from all appearances we have had no rain at all in East Doncaster. It absolutely poured out the other side of town especially in the hills between Werribee and Bacchus Marsh. I will check in the morning but we must have done about 150 miles over dark, narrow, country roads. Great fun!! Average speeds about 45mph so most of the time sitting on 55-60mph. Didn't see any Kangaroos but one Fox.

Bernie J.

Hello

Re last nights motoring epic. In fact we covered exactly 180 miles door to door. Not a bad nights drive. Pity about the wind & rain.

Attached is a photograph of some of our fellow masochists cars. Also one of the Rapier with the top erected something that is only rarely seen. Parked here with a friends Lagonda 3 Litre Tourer. It should be explained that he is a British expatriate, hence the open top.

Bernie J.

post-51681-143138834167_thumb.jpg

post-51681-143138834177_thumb.jpg

Hi Ben

You too can enjoy the same level of fun but you have to start by driving your car! Not just standing around at shows. You have to work hard at it! It takes years of practice. I joined my first old car club over 50 years ago. Having lots of like minded friends helps.

Bernie J.

PS. I think that your Buick may need some work or the rear suspension before you drive it too far.

You would stand a fair chance of ripping the bottom out of the fuel tank if you drove it down some of the roads we use......

When the going gets tough, the tough get going!

Hi

Is my face red? Today I have spent possibly half an hour rectifying what was a very basic error on my part.

Going back two weeks to my post #830, I talked about the split nut steering box.

What I did not realise when assembling the steering box was that I had inadvertently transposed the position of the two halves of the "nut". While this may seem a minor mistake, it has serious ramifications. Doing this reverses the direction of the steering so that when the steering wheel is turned to the left the front wheels turn to the right! Fortunately correcting this problem does not require a total strip down of the "box", All that had to be done was to remove the outer column together with the top half of the thrust bearing. The inner column together with the two halves of the nut could then be withdrawn and the nut turned over. The complete box could then be re- assembled, the outer column replaced and the thrust bearing re- adjusted. Job done in about the time it has taken to write this. A final check and if anything the steering is slightly lighter and slightly more precise. AND the front wheels turn in the right direction.....

Bernie J.