1957 master cylinder color?

My father had about 20 57 buicks over the years (all unrestored and most with power brakes) and every one I can remember was painted black. They may have come different ways depending on build date, etc. but I believe black is most common as original.

I think that it depends on whether it is a Delco-Moraine or a Bendix unit. I think the Delco units were painted black (vacuum portion) cast iron master cylinder. On the Bendix unit, cast iron for the master cylinder, but like Dan posted, it was a golden cad type plating. I have a couple of cores of the Bendix type and that's what they looked like, unrestored. Hope this helps.

Jim

57 - 48

On an older post of mine, I discovered that there is a special socket/wrench that GM made for this which is probably unobtainable today. Find my post to read through suggestions on how it can be done without it. It is a 1-3/4" nut holding it to the firewall. Anyway, I am near preparing to remove another one and am in the process of fabricating a special wrench in my garage.

Guest 70 Electra

Think that '57 would be same as 1960?

I may cause some controversy here, but in 1960 I confident they were originally battleship gray. I base this on remenants of paint on my original master cyl (prior to replacement) and on the fact that all of the NOS units I've seen are battleship gray.

The paint obviously doesn't last long, so I believe that is why they are usually assumed to be "bare" metal.

On Chevrolets of the mid-60s, with Delco Morraine master cyl, they were indeed painted black, but it was such a lame coating that it did not last long. I base this statement upon NOS parts, and the notation on the original GM blueprints which I have seen.