1938 90L - where is your Battery housed?

Greetings all,

The reproduction Buick Manual says my 1938 should have its battery in the engine bay, its not specific but implies this is for all models.

But my 1938 has it under the front seat. Much like the 1937 or earlier models.

Now is this:

1. Because its a 90L?

2. Because its a McLaughlin?

3. Because its been put there by a previous owner during restoration

4. Because its a very early 90L and it used the 37 model's design for the battery?

I noticed that its not the traditional 19" battery either and indeed that simply wouldnt fit in the housing under the seat. The battery sizing is consistent with the G2 which is 10.25" long and much wider than the 19"battery.

All suggestions welcome!

My 1938 90L has the battery in the engine compartment. It is on the right (passenger) side running parallel to the engine. It is the long narrow battery style. I think the Limiteds tend not to be as standardized compared to the rest of the models, so all kinds of variations can be found. For example, mine has 1937 style rear shocks. I don't know much about McLauglins so not sure of the difference and how they varied from the regular Buick line. I can send you some pics if you would like.

Lars

David,

My car complies with your conditions 1 & 2. It's a 90L and a McLaughin. The reason for the change would in my opinion be due to the steering column running thru' the US version's battery location.

Art

My car complies with your conditions 1 & 2. It's a 90L and a McLaughin. The reason for the change would in my opinion be due to the steering column running thru' the US version's battery location.
That is a new item 5: right hand drive.

However I suspect it under the seat due its shape, hence as 3. The long thin battery is hard to get in Australia where DBT very fine car came from.

Tonight will send an email to a friend in Nambia (Africa) who has right hand drive 1938 series 80 to ask for another opinion

Edited by 1939_buick (see edit history)

Both my '39 Special and '38 Century are right hand drive and both have the long, thin battery under the bonnet (Bugger...Hood !! ,:)).

Given that the engine area is very similar, I don't think being right hand drive is the reason the battery would be under the seat. (Just an opinion)

The steering column is quite aways from the battery.

Have you checked with the other '39 90 owners here in Aus??

There are a couple here. Might help tie down the left hand Vs right hand question.

Danny