wooden wheel repairs

mikesbrunn

Guest cben09

When they were new they were runnin true,,so see if you can see what has happend,,First do the rims come off, [de mountable rims]] if so are they mounted true,,,Have the wood parts been IN a dirt cellar floor,,rotting the wood,,and rims,,,or just shrunk up from extreme dryness,,,IF you go for new wood,,,dont forget that the car will not move til the wheels are on again,,,I had a car in the way for months,,,grrr,,,Ben

mikesbrunn,

I had a set of wheels for my 1909 that were so loose that they were falling apart. I left the rims on but took the inner and outer hubs off. I cut a piece of 3/4 inch steel that just fit inside the rim. This held the wheel straight. There was no finish on the wood wheels. With the wheel laying flat on this steel I used Kwik-poly and mixing in small batches without filler painted it on the wheels. This is time consumming because you only have a couple of minutes before the Kwik-poly sets up. If you have some gaps you can use the filler after you put on a couple of coats. The wheels can be sanded and painted. I did my wheels 5 years ago and they are still straight and strong. If you want natural wheels you would probably have to have new ones.

Guest cben09

Be sure that the spoke ends are anchored in the felloe securely,,and that the wood is not rotted,,If the wheel drops ya in a corner,,the reconstruction team will notice,,,,Ben

Guest martylum

Hi Mike-I live in So. Central PA and have a friend named Calimer who has done wood spoke wheels for many years as a full time business. Contact him at 717-762-5056 in Waynesboro, PA

Martin Lum

This topic has been discussed many times on Model T forums and the best advice is to have new wheels made using your old iron parts. If they wobble, something has changed shape and that's because something has loosened up. There are a lot of "home remedies" and some have been successful but bottom line is that you are trusting your life (and the lives of others) to those wheels. Don't take any chances. I just had a pair of front wheels done by Bill Calimer also and they are beautiful. All I need to do is find time to paint them.

Terry