Sign in to follow this  
Roger Walling

Message to E-BAY CEO

Skyking, I think you mean "Ironic", or at least I hope so...

LOL!

I certainly hope so!

And the CEO of Ebay who started the slide downward of a people's market (at least I think she started it) is running for Governor of California. Ebay has taken a lot less of my time since junk listings became the norm, and as for paypal only for electronic payment - forget me on that one since they decided that they can hold a sellers money for as long as they want before releasing it.

Regarding Roger's original point, I agree the new search setup sucks. One thing that helps is isolating categories. For example when I search "Pierce Arrow" and get 1600 listings, I look to the left where the listings are broken down by category. If i select Ebay Motors parts/accessories it cuts it down to maybe 600 listings. This still includes the antenna / lighter guy with his 150 listings but that is what the scroll wheel is for. I totally agree these guys are gaming the system, has anyone tried reporting their listings to Ebay as a scam? I may try that and see what happens.

As far as PayPal, I do not understand all the resistance to it. If you are going to deal with Ebay at all it is the easiest and most efficient way to pay or receive payments. If the objection is the "Big Brother" connection between Ebay and PayPal, get over it, there are a lot worse examples of that everywhere. If your worry is sharing bank account and credit card info then you must be living off the grid, anyone who purchases anything or pays bills online has a lot more personal info already out there. PayPal even offers an E-check option that allows you to pay without full registration or account sharing.

Regarding Roger's original point, I agree the new search setup sucks. One thing that helps is isolating categories. For example when I search "Pierce Arrow" and get 1600 listings, I look to the left where the listings are broken down by category. If i select Ebay Motors parts/accessories it cuts it down to maybe 600 listings. This still includes the antenna / lighter guy with his 150 listings but that is what the scroll wheel is for.

The problem with that, is that you miss out on anything "Reginald's" widow is putting up, because she posted all her Pierce-Arrow stuff in the regular area.

Edited by West Peterson (see edit history)

If you want the ceo to listen you must first get his/her attention. The only way to do that is for all of us to stop buying. Dont even bring up the site.

eBay and Harley-Davidson are both companies that I always say...

"love the product, hate the company!"

Skyking, I think you mean "Ironic", or at least I hope so...

Well, I'm not the best spell'er, but you know what I meant;)

I have noticed that (at least for the present time) if I run my search through "eBay" rather than "eBay Motors" the same search will come up with completely different search results, although the eBay search will include the relevant ebay Motors search. For example if I search for parts for my car using the following:

1930 Buick

I get the following results:

eBay ==> 302

eBay Motors ==>1,377

Obviously the search from eBay Motors contains most of the spam while the eBay search is limited although the "real" results I am interested in are contained in the eBay search.

Perhaps this will help you as well.

Thanks,

Now, they have come up with this dumb statement when you select "New" while listing a part.

New: A brand-new, unused, unopened, undamaged item in its original packaging (where packaging is applicable). Packaging should be the same as what is found in a retail store, unless the item was packaged by the manufacturer in non-retail packaging, such as an unprinted box or plastic bag. See the seller's listing for full details

As far as PayPal, I do not understand all the resistance to it. If you are going to deal with Ebay at all it is the easiest and most efficient way to pay or receive payments. If the objection is the "Big Brother" connection between Ebay and PayPal, get over it, there are a lot worse examples of that everywhere. If your worry is sharing bank account and credit card info then you must be living off the grid, anyone who purchases anything or pays bills online has a lot more personal info already out there. PayPal even offers an E-check option that allows you to pay without full registration or account sharing.

No no no... I can do my own banking for free, and not have to worry about being takin by a dishonest buyer. Don't we pay enough in fees already before we then have to pay more paypal fees? Not for me.

No no no... I can do my own banking for free, and not have to worry about being takin by a dishonest buyer. Don't we pay enough in fees already before we then have to pay more paypal fees? Not for me.

Ages ago when Ebay accepted money orders and checks as well as Paypal, I did some comparisons based on some people complaining about Paypal fees. Items listed where Paypal was not accepted, only money orders and checks, usually sold for 20% - 40% less than the exact same item listed with Paypal as a payment method. So apparently rather than pay the 3% or whatever little fee from Paypal, these sellers would rather get way less for the item. Doesn't seem like a brilliant strategy to me. Plus then you have to make the extra trip to the bank, and pay for the gas to do it to deposit everything.

LINC, you may not be far off. I have been buying and selling on eBay for a long time. More selling the last 4+ years than the earlier years. I always accepted PayPal, Money Order or Check. I don't think 10% paid by something other than PayPal. Now that the rules have changed and you can not advertise other forms of payment I still take US Postal Money Orders, stop accepting checks or other money orders because I don't want to go to the bank (30 miles round trip). The Post Office will cash their money orders when I mail the item.

I wouldn't pay 20% more to use PayPal but I have paid a bit more, in the past, just because the item will get shipped sooner.

I would pay extra as a buyer in order to be able to use Paypal. Not that I like paying extra just to use Paypal exactly, but I simply would not bid on an item that couldn't be paid for with Paypal even if it sold for less. If I am buying something for say $200, I certainly do not want to be screwed out of that money by sending a money order and then receiving nothing or a broken or misrepresented item. With Paypal, you can stop the payment. With a money order or check, you are simply screwed out of that money. So I would be willing to pay $240 to know I would be getting the item I expected or my money back. It just isn't worth it to bid $200 and not be sure you won't get screwed. So I would just pass on the item and wait for the next one.

I haven't sold much, but it is certainly worth the little fee Paypal charges to have an instant payment, no trips to the bank, no worries about bounced checks, not have to keep asking and waiting for a check to arrive, and possibly get more money for whatever I'm selling because the buyers feel more confident bidding.

I have bought many thing off Ebay, but have never sold anything so far. What kind of charges does Pay-Pay charge? Is it a flat rate, or is it a percentage of what the item(s) sells for? It would be good to know this for the future.

I agree with Linc and Jim.

3% is a small price to pay for convenienc.

What I don't understand is people who say "I only ship thursdays as the post office is 20 miles away". Um, I print all my labels off Ebay/Paypal for free, actually, I get a discount on shipping this way and the mail man picks up all my packages for free in his cool little USPS diesel truck that I can hear coming 3 blocks away.

With Ebay and Paypal, I never HAVE to leave the house. (except for media mail items over 13 oz, which they assume to be bombs and require them to be handed in person to a postal employee, not a mail carrier.) That rule still pisses me off......

Edited by bhclark (see edit history)

I have bought many thing off Ebay, but have never sold anything so far. What kind of charges does Pay-Pay charge? Is it a flat rate, or is it a percentage of what the item(s) sells for? It would be good to know this for the future.

Roughly 3%. I think there are maximums. 25 cents in the minimum I believe.

No cost to buyers, only to sellers.

If you are a seller and only accept "cash" payments and not those backed by credit cards, then you can keep a "personal" account and not pay any fees.

I've opened 3 accounts and every time, the first or second item I've sold has been paid for by a credit card purchase, requiring me to "upgrade" my account. Sometimes I think Ebay/Paypal is buying my items just to get the 3%!

Say all you want about the glories of paypal, but they still offer absolutely no protection to the seller. Why would I want to risk losing money months down the road, when I can go to the bank 1/2 a block away, for free, today?

It just proves... different folks... different strokes!

I have purchased over 150 items thru ebay, and mostly very happy with the items. However, recently in the past couple of years, less honest sellers have found how to work ebay. Opening new accounts and purchasing eight or ten cheap items, or buying and selling among themselves. Then listing a rare or expensive item, with dishonest discriptions and pictures. They get the deposits, or the full price and disappear. Ebay will not do anything, or very little. I sold a 1967 cougar, with a newly rebuilt engine, the buyer drove the car, and had every chance to have it checked out. A month after the purchase he stated the engine was not rebuilt and wanted his initial deposit paid thru paypal back. They took it out of my account, I had offer to have him bring the car back, and get all of his money back if it was in the same condition as purchased, or offer supporting documentation as to whom had said the engine was not rebuilt. He failed ever to do so, either. He was a crook, and it took six months to get my money back from them. So BEWARE OF EBAY.

I'd be really pissed if Ebay gave some of my money back to the buyer without giving me the opportunity to prove who was really the crook. Glad you finally got it taken care of. Live and learn.

They just DON'T GET IT..............Latest PITA is the shipping charge/postage mess! This third party get in the way mindset has to end! Why eBay thinks they know how much the post office or FedEx will charge to ship somerthing to an UNKNOWN winner just defies logic! I'll know the size of the box once I pack the item, I'll know the weight of said package at that time. I can go to the FedEx website or the USPS site and then get a rate to add to the sale price. eBay once printed a shipping rate of $140.00 on an item I listed, never noticed it untill the last day of the auction. had ONE BIDDER who won the item for $19.99, I shipped ir FedEx Ground for $11.40. Thanks eBay for chasing away all the other bidders!

Jim,

You pay an insertion fee based on starting price to list an item, usually small. If the item sells you are then charged a final value fee based on the actual selling price. If you accept a PayPal payment from the buyer you pay PayPal a transaction fee based on the total price. (If you buy something and pay with PayPal you DO NOT pay a fee) All of this is the cost of doing business online with the largest database of potential buyers in existence.

Compare this to placing classified ads or hauling a truckload of stuff to and from a swap meet and Ebay will still be cheaper in dollars every time.

Ebay will always side with a "Power seller" no matter what in a dispute. Years ago I used to be "Fishbone" on eBay but one day I sold a computer chip for my '92 Ranger. It just wasn't the right one for me so I put it up for auction. I listed ALL the info from the mfg. Links to the page with that chip. The ******* who bought it wanted it for his 1970 Bronco! Well of course it only fit in the glovebox. I stated in big bold red letters that there would be no refunds as it was an electronic part ant it was buyers responsibility to be sure it was what they wanted. He complained to eBay and they sided with him (him-power seller with feedback of 88%+, me feedback of 100 w/100% posiive) eBay said I had to refund him his money because I "didn't provide enough information"! Unbeleivable that all the info the manufacturer has was available to him, yet it was my fault the idiot didn't know his 1970 Bronco didn't have a CPU. Rather than refunding to this moron, I let them kill my account. I now just partner up with my nephew and we share his account. I never sent back a nickel, eBay had to eat it.