1941 Buick windshield install ???

smithbrother

I had some serious leaks, I have removed the glass, and seal, and am buying all new rubber, but would like to discuss with someone of knowledge regarding the proper way to deal with installing such. Sealants, where to put such, etc.

Anyone with knowledge is more than welcome to contact me.

Thank You.

Dale in Indy.

P.S. I have a 41 Limited and looking for outside mirrors, but those I have tried just don't give good results. Any suggestions are more that welcome.

Guest Grant Magrath

Hi.

As has been mentioned before, the best place to get your Buick bits from is Bobs Automobilia. I see the website is up again, www.bobsautomobilia.com .

Try not to drool on your keyboard!

Cheers

Grant:)

Guest Grant Magrath

Oh, and your local autoglass guy should be the one to talk to regarding sealing, etc.

Grant

Here in Sebring, we couldn't find a single glass shop that would install a two-piece, flat windshield, so we followed Steele's instructions that came with the gasket and did it ourselves, that was one good mechanic, one bad one (me) and my wife (she's a better mechanic than I am - ha). We have found in every case, including glass shops in Maryland who would install these windshields, that the Steele gaskets require sealant. We bought a professional sealant gun at the local paint supplier...the last one he had. Modern windshields don't use those anymore either.

Smithbrothers, on your 1941 Limited....congratulations, that's a nice car. I had two of them at one time, but now have a 1941 Roadmaster 71-C. I think Bob's Automobilia supplies the "King-Bee" mirror in reproduction form. Try them out. I know they do for convertibles, but am unsure concerning closed cars. Otherwise try to find a "Yankee" clip on mirror. They work well on all the old Buicks, but of course they aren't factory issue.

The problem I found with clip-on mirrors is that the vent window gets in the way. It doesn't hit the mirror, but LOOKING thru the glass and trying to use the mirror causes confusion.

I may have to make my own version. Also the right mirrors I have tried don't allow enough adjustment to see properly.

"I AM ALWAYS DOING THAT WHICH I CAN NOT DO, IN ORDER TO LEARN HOW TO DO IT" Pablo Picasso ~ 1881 - 1973

Dale in Indy

Good Morning All: Am installing a windshield in a 1940 tomorrow. The reason that most shops will not install is that the windshields from this era FLOAT and are installed from the inside and not the outside. They often leaked from near new and still do. The shops do not want to fight the leaks and complaints from owners who do not understand how this has always been a problem. In searching for the proper sealant/gasket material I visited one of our local shops and heard about the floating problem, which I already knew about. I am using a sealant/gasket product and not an adhesive. What I am saying is that I am using this product around the gasket to SEAL out the water. Use the adhesive to bind the rubber to the glass but a sealant/gasket product to seal the rubber gasket to the inner metal window opening. Good Luck to both of us. Patrick W. Brooks

Hi,

It's been a few, actually many, years since I put a windshield into Baby, but what I did has worked for at least two decades. Of course you need the correct gasket and adhesive. To seal the rubber though, I used the following.

Note that the glass and rubber must be absolutely grease-free. You can prime both with unleaded gas--just don't smoke while you're doing it. Duh.

For sealant you will do well with a material from the rubber roofing industry. Go to your local commercial roofer, buy him a cup of coffee, and get him to give you or sell you (about $4-$5) a tube of EPDM "lap sealant." Home centers may carry this stuff now also, but be sure it says EPDM (Ethylene Propylene Diene Monomer) on it. Don't use silicane sealant--the sun gets to it and it will peel off the glass. I have used EPDM lap sealant by the truckload in my roofing business since the 70's. This material is a black rubber goop that you can pump into place under the lip of the rubber using a caulk gun, or, as I did, pump into a throw-away pump oil can for better control and a finer thread of goop under the rubber.

The lap sealant shrinks over a couple of weeks to a film-like thickness. You can then remove any over-application or smears on the glass with a razor blade. If you got the lap sealant between the rubber gasket and the glass it makes a whale of a watertight and durable seal.

----Tom

Tom, you did GOOD in explaining the process.

I THANK YOU, for sure.

P.S. None of your cars have the ROOF antenna, well maybe your Aching Back does if it's a BUICK. I wonder if they are famous for leaking? I replaced everything that is part of the roof antenna about 14 years ago, and found it has been leaking when I thought it was more from the windshield.

Dale in Indy, the corn field with a race track in the middle.

Guest Grant Magrath

Yeah, whatever you do, don't use silicon sealant! I installed my 39 Chevy windscreen and used a special windscreen sealant that didn't set and stayed flexible. CArry a candle in the car, and if the windshield leaks, drip hot wax on it to temporarily seal it!

Cheers

Grant

PS Scott Dixon to take the 500 this year?;)

• 1 year later...
Guest autoglass

I think you need professionals in this field here you can find Fremont Auto Glass Replacement. they did your auto glass replacement at your house and give special services to the customers.