Wanted: R-9 overdrive

West,

I have one that I am in the process of cleaning and re-gasketing. It has the solenoid, governor, cable, and a relay, though I don't know if the relay is good. I can test it when I get the trans back together.

Dan Boehm

734-753-3979

SE Michigan

It is from a 48 Packard Deluxe 8.

Edited by AVSmi
more info (see edit history)

West - As referred recently on PInfo, Nelson Bates 903-237-8098 of Longview, TX is really into overdrives. I am now feeding him cores as fast as he can work with them; I'm sure he can help out, however, the issue fast becomes do you want a mystery trans, or are you wanting/willing to write the check. Nelson, and a professional mechanic mate are seriously into overhauling (not just "rebuilding") these transmissions, which is my way of warning that you get what you pay for. Nelson is ex-NASA and his attention to detail has not declined from his involvement in the space program. (or his brother Warren's influence) I often remind him we are not driving these cars to the moon, to which he often replies, why not?

West I have r-9 junior box if you going to have one built, that was my intention to swap the front input shafts and covers, Typical the there 4 gears in the sun gear, but I doubt that a huge issue verse 3 in the junior R-9. Even that could be swapped. It sound like Dave friend not the routine for conversion and rebuilds. Since then I pickup a senior unit complete. I probably after an extra six post relay,

Edited by packards42 (see edit history)

Yes. Daniel e-mailed me with the differences between the Senior and Junior o.d.'s. Not sure at this point weather a problem would show up if we tried installing the Junior in a Senior car.

"I did a bit of research in my 42 parts book, and it seems there are 2 significant differences between the 2008 O/D trans and the 2001-11-21 junior O/D trans. First is the 'clutch shaft', which I believe is the large/small input pilot, and the O/D planetary set, which I believe is a 4 pinion planetary for the senior and 3 pinion planetary for the juniors. The clutch shaft can be swapped between this and the trans that is in the car, but the O/D 4 pinion planetary is 30% stronger for the senior car. The transmissions will physically interchange, but O/D strength is compromised."

The overdrive lockout cable is special for 41 & 42 non clippers. the eariler and later cable will work, but their not technical correct. I have the head somewhere to build one, if one needs to make up the cable.

Also there a model tee guy that makes a full manual conversion, i.e you push in the clutch and shift like open overdrive unit.

The manual conversion was a kit for using R-9 behind any other make. I will ahve to see if I have notes on it. his space was on the Red field near the main entrance several years ago. i believe he was promoting the OD for Model T, but it was suitable for all makes and models.

• 6 months later...