Question on 1923 Aussie built RH drive DB

Hi All,

When starting the car, the spark advance lever is up and after it starts I move it down. The problem is the Book Of Information for a 23 says it should be just the opposite,start with it down move it up after it starts.

Now the book says it's written for a left hand drive. Should it be different?:confused:

I do have a power problem. Can't climb a small hill in 3rd gear. That's what started me thinking that maybe the timing is messed up. Can anybody with a RH drive of the same year help me out.

Thanks, Joe C.

Guest DodgeKCL

I dont' have your year of vehicle but we should be able to troubleshoot it. If you remove the distributor cap and crank the engine over you can see what direction the rotor moves. Let's say it moves clockwise. When you move the timing lever to 'advance' ,which is the position it would be moved to after starting, it should move the distributor anti-clockwise ,against the rotation of the rotor, to make the points open and close sooner. Or moving the lever towards 'retard' ,the position used for starting (to hopefully stop the hand crank from kicking back and breaking the owner's arm), the distributor should move 'with' the rotor or clockwise ,making the rotor having to move further around the clock before activating the points. So clockwise rotor movement- anticlockwise distributor movement to advance the timing. You move the distributor 'into' the rotor to advance and 'away' from the rotor to retard. Good luck.

Hi ,

No, the car has a coil. Whether it's original or not I don't know.

The manual is a repro. and not the original with the car,but shows a coil attached to the distributor.Mine is mounted to the firewall.

Dumb question...Would a magneto make any difference which the spark advance lever is positioned to start the car?:confused:

The thottle and the spark advance are on the right side of the steering whl.

Is that where they belong?

I'm not sure of anything with this car. The gas pedal is in between the brake and the clutch. Is that how they built them down under?:D

I can't wait for the Gettysburg meet to check out some other 23's and maybe bum a ride to see how they perform.

Joe C.

Gundog99,

Thanks for your input. Is that your car in the picture and if so do you start with the spark advance up and then move it down after it's running?

BTW... I have that same steering wheel. I don't know how anybody could get into the car without the "fat man" steering wheel.:D

Thanks for everybodys input.

Joe C.

Hi Joe,

If you have questions on the veracity of your reprint manual you may want to try the offering in the AACA Library at:

Record 3 of 8

You can also get to this spot by clicking on the "AACA Library" tab at the top of this page > Then click the "Online Catalog" link in the upper right of that page > Then at the top of the resulting page click the link "Search the AACA Catalog". Once on the search page, enter "1923 Dodge" and in those search results look at the third item down the list.

Marque or Author: Dodge Brothers 1923

Title: Book of Information: Dodge Brothers Motor Vehicles

Summary: 5.75x8.5 one-color manual; 192 pages plus two-color lube chart and stiff covers; April, 1923, Sixteenth Edition; dealer/manager imprint on first page, and manager imprint on front and back covers. Illustrates and provides instructions for the operation and care of 1923 Dodge Brothers models.

Call number: 94-D1289

Once you check this out, go to the page for the "Research Request Form" at:

AACA Library

and fill out a request if you feel this publication is useful.

Maybe this will help - or maybe it is the same as you already have. This piece has 192 pages the description says.

Good Luck! :)

Hi All,

Just a update. Since the rotor turns CW I started to tweak to timing CCW...made it worse, so I started going CW a little at a time. Each time performance was better. I can now climb the infamous hill near me. I still slow down near the top and I can't accelerate going up the hill. I'm going to hold off any more tweaking until I bum a ride from a "23" owner and see how their car runs.

Thanks everyone for your input on my problem.

Joe C.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Aussie John

you are correct..the "advance" lever on 23 in Great South Land [Australia] is up to advance - down to retard ..does not make any difference maggie or dizzie....

tho this depends on if the lever on exhaust pipe is inverted or down .... this will reverse the direction of "adsvance"

check your timing and firing pattern as mentioned...also check compression and valve timing ...

mine is a bit reluctant on hills when it warms up, so am having a similar problem ...working on it ..

PS You do not know of a source for windscreen frames for '23 tourer by any chance

cheers..

John Y

Edited by Aussie John
missed line (see edit history)

Guest Aussie John

Forgot to say in last note that mine is a magneto and "advance" is down -"retard" is up

cheers

Thanks, one and all for your input on my problem.

I lied when I said I wouldn't tweak the timing anymore till I could bum a ride at G-burg.

I couldn't wait:o

There's a nice hill about a mile from my house. It's about a 1 1/2 mile straight climb. So off I go with my cell phone and a big screwdriver.

After one more tweak, the second try was great. (I think)

Started at the bottom going 45mph finished at the top going 30mph although I couldn't give it any more gas as the petal was to the metal, or in this case wood.

I plan on taking it out this afternoon to a car cruise that's about 8 miles away.

Not much of a challenge in terms of hills but a nice ride anyway.

Thanks again for those who took the time to help me out.

Hope to see some of you at G-burg in a couple weeks.

Joe C.

• 3 months later...
Guest pedro2560

hi,have the same car,i start mine when cold,1/3 throtle ,no retard[at the top position],and about 1/3 choke,too much choke and she dont like it,only needs choke for about 20-30 sec then push it in.cheers pete

I have an Australian 23 Tourer and fully advanced is up. I don't touch it at all even when cold. I have a Holden carb conversion and this thing pulls like a 15 year old. Sometimes it feels sluggish till I realize my kids have playing in the car and have pulled the lever down which is retarding the timing.