A Question About Unrestored Archival

buick4547

My car, a 39 Special Model 48, will be entered into the Archival Class for judging at the National. I think it is safe to say that my car is much more than 75% original as it sits, but I really would like to replace the running boards with new rubber matting, as the original matting is presentable but showing a lot of wear.

How will this replacement affect the judging of my car? Is this considered the replacement of a major component which would disqualify my car from receiving an Archival award, or would the replacement of the matting simply be considered a spot repair?

Replacement of your running board covers will be a deduction, but unless your car has a lot of other deductions, it won't keep you from getting an archival award. I'm only the Head Judge for the Iowa meet, and I could be overruled by Chief Judge Alan Oldfield, but that is my opinion on the matter.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Sherman, Texas

Thanks Pete. I sent an email to Alan Oldfield asking him the same question. He responded to me today, and basically told me the same thing you are telling me. Alan has told me that the safest approach for judging would be the leave the running boards original. Its good to see that there is a consistency between judges.

I am going to hold off on replacing the matting until after the meet. Thanks to you and Alan for steering a new guy, who is new to the National and judging, in the right direction.

• 11 years later...

Pete, you still haven't sent me the Archival award you won with the 1932 Buick 56 S, I now know WHY!  In the Buick Bugle dated May 2011, I  am reading, is an article you wrote unrestored  class U, Quote interior for example must be 75 percent original, complete replacement of interior would be disqualified for the Archival Award and I also learned you were the head Judge!  You made a fool out of yourself when you went Viral about my question to you and no one else in the Buick Club,  should I repaint the Buick? I still would like to receive an Apology from you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a very nice set of original rear quarter window garnish moldings for a 2 door sedan. Do you need an upgrade? They aren't doing anybody much good lying in my shop.

Thanks

Leif

18 hours ago, buick looks fine for 39 said:

I have a very nice set of original rear quarter window garnish moldings for a 2 door sedan. Do you need an upgrade? They aren't doing anybody much good lying in my shop.

Thanks

Leif

Leif

Original post was 11 years old.  Still prescient I suppose, but 11 years old.  

19 hours ago, pontiac 1932 said:

Pete, you still haven't sent me the Archival award you won with the 1932 Buick 56 S, I now know WHY!  In the Buick Bugle dated May 2011, I  am reading, is an article you wrote unrestored  class U, Quote interior for example must be 75 percent original, complete replacement of interior would be disqualified for the Archival Award and I also learned you were the head Judge!  You made a fool out of yourself when you went Viral about my question to you and no one else in the Buick Club,  should I repaint the Buick? I still would like to receive an Apology from you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Apologize for what?  If you purchased the 1932 Buick and Pete stated it received an Archival award, then it received the award.  

But your comments don’t make much sense out of context. You must have done an extensive search to go back 11-12 years to find that post so you could make your comments.  

If you did buy this car then get on with enjoying it. There are very few Pre War Buick folks that give a crap about awards. Buick’s are meant to be driven. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

And I have a letter to one of the former owners of our 1920 K-46 that states that the 1st Junior award given to this car will transfer to the new owner when ownership changes.  It only makes sense that the awards stay with the vehicle.  The vehicle won the award - not the person.  Our Buick won this award before the HPOF was created and we transferred and retired the award so that the car could be entered into HPOF status.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

AACA Life Member #947918

AACA AWARD.jpg

To show a car in AACA in the HPOF category, the car can NOT have won any previous AACA class awards.  If the judges score the car for originality (not condition) high   enough they will award an HPOF badge to be attached to the car, a plaque with a badge attached is given to the owner as well as a medalion to be affixed to the plaque.  Each subsequent showing the meets the criterion an additional medalian will be awarded to be attached to the plaque.  After so many medalians ( I think it's 10) are awarded a special award will be presented.  Certification in HPOF stays with the car, even if ownership is transferred.  The plaque with medalians can stay with the the original owner.

Badge on the right in the photo is the 100 year award.  It's a one time award.plaque.jpg.a937115c0fa9e920b6e7e748a04381ea.jpg

I can't speak BCA preservation procedures.

Bob Engle

badge.jpg