1930 Erskine with Noisy Rods

Guest wilsonsk

Guest wilsonsk

I have been driving my 1930 Erskine a bit and it is running pretty good. The rods are a little noisy at neutral torque - cruising at 35 mph on level ground for instance. The previous owner had always stated that the pan had never been dropped in 106,000 miles (he was the second owner, the first owner had told him the same thing). I dropped the pan today hoping to find shims on the rod caps but there were none. I am not sure if that means someone actually has been in there or did they sometimes not put shims in? I pulled the front and back caps and the crank didn't look too bad, no major scoring, some scratches but nothing I could really feel with my thumbnail. I plasti-gauged them and got around .003 with the piston at the bottom of the stroke. It could be a little more maybe, but not much. The babbitt on the caps looked good. I guess that leaves me with a couple of options, 1) Put it back together as is, run 50W oil - Not planning on road tripping too much but I also don't want to do major damage. 2) File the caps to close up the gap a little - obvious risks are not getting them filed straight and possibly taking too much. I attached a couple of pictures, the crank looks worse than it really is, I didn't wipe it well.

I am looking for some advice here.

Thanks in advance,

Steve Wilson <!-- attachments -->

post-64965-143138214808_thumb.jpg

post-64965-143138214811_thumb.jpg

Guest cben09

Hi,,Original clearence was probably about ,002,,so the 3 you have now is not too bad,,,The big oil hole showing in the pic says that it is a full pressure crank,,and these do not use shims,like the splash rod cars,,so I would be more suspect of the wrist pins,,Listen around the engine w/a stetascope[sp?] and see if you can localize the noise,,,Read in DYKES,,on the difference of finding a rod nock from a pin noise,,valve noise or piston slap,,,IF you must dress the caps,,use a mike to measure,,You can also dress the cap on emerycloth on a flat side window glass to keep it straight,,WHILE you have the caps off,,mike the shaft,,max out of round was considerd to be ,0015-,002 back in the '50s when we didn't run em so fast,,While youre in there ,look at the oil pump too,Largest loss of oil inside pump is past the END of the gears,,,,Best of luck,,Ben in Maine

Guest wilsonsk

Thanks Ben,

I have more questions now thanks to your answers.

Where can I get the info from DYKES?

If I decide to look into the oil pump, how do I check the gears and what do I do if there is excessive clearance?

I think at this time I am going to button it back up and run it a bit more. The whole bottom of the oil pick-up screen was plugged by 80 years worth of sludge and probably about 20-25% of the sides was blocked. I cleaned the pan real well so it will be getting a little more oil than it was. I Don't want to get too far into the motor right now, just want to make sure I don't hurt anything. I made copies of the gaskets I have so I think I'll run it a bit and work on other things as well as see what else I do need to work on. I can go through it more thoroughly over next winter. Does that sound like a reasonable plan?

Guest cben09

" Dykes" as it is generally known,,,,"""Dyke's automobile and gasoline engine encyclopedia""",,,Its 2anna half to 3" thick,,medium blue,, early editions about 1905 on to 194? also used by US Army in the motorpool,,ed/11 to 22 will do you,,17=22 is what I suggest looking for,,,If you get more than one,,trade or sell to a friend,,OOOps,,,forgot the dark blue soft [not so hard] edition,, This was the life work of A,L,Dyke ,StLouis,,whom we all owe a debt of gratitude,,,He made only one car I think,,just to prove that he carried enough parts in his parts business,,to build a whole car,,I saw mention of the car within the year,, E/bay source?? would think 25-50 bucks,,,the 5 spot may have the good pages missing,,haha,,happy hunting,,Cheers,,Ben

• 2 weeks later...
Guest cben09

Have you asked the local library if they have a Dykes manual,,or can order it,,,or have you looked on E/b,,,Hows it cumming,,,Cheers,,Ben

Guest Pallidan1

Dyke's automobile and gasoline engine encyclopedia

2 on Amazon.com $45-85

5 on Alibris.com from $45 to the you gotta be kidding. Also quite a few supplemental books from same auther. just click on see all when the page comes up.