Tranny problem

Guest My TC Toy

Guest My TC Toy

Buzz,

I am replying to your PM in this new thread because there may be other members who may want to offer comments or may be able to help with a similar problem.

Problem; '90, V6, A604 transmission slips out of gear on starting off from a stop.

First I would do an on-board diagnostic, you know key on-off-on-off-on and count the flashes. If this procedure renders a code it may be a further clue to the source of the problem. I somewhat doubt that it is an electronic problem as you suggested (TCM) because if the TCM was faulty it would revert to the limp mode.

Second I would check the selector connection to the trans and make sure that the connection is not loose or sloppy. Then check the cable alignment with the internal detents in the selector. To do this put the selector in any gear, slip off the cable and make certain that the cable is properly aligned, if you can reinstall the cable without moving the transmission lever it is OK. If the alignment is off the cable needs to be adjusted. If I am not mistaken the adjustment is at the transmission end of the cable. If the cable is not aligned properly it means that the valves in the valve body are not in their fully serated or open positions. If someone had done any work in this area and banged or pulled the cable it could have caused a misalignment.

If all the above is OK my diagnosis would be a faulty valve body and it will require replacement. If you are going to do this yourself make certain that the selector is in "L" when removing or reinstalling the valve body. Also look out for two small springs that will, more likely than not, fall out of place above the valve body. This is not a time consuming replacement, but I would have a transmission man do it.

The only other comment is that if you need the work done, make certain that the fluid is replaced with Mopar 7176 and nothing else, including Dextron or any universal type fluid.

I hope this is of some help to you. Let us (and that's not the Royal us) know how you get on. Best of luck.

Bob

Guest monty todt

Thank you, I will be talking to Chrysler in a few days and have the transmission shop that rebuilt the tranny looking at it in a few days also. I will print this and pass it along, and let you know the results. The car, with over 200,000 miles on it, looks as good as it did 20 years ago when I bought it, but with a faulty transmission it is not dependable to go anywhere. Thank you again, Buzz