$439 for a bumper strip?

• 4 weeks later...
Guest george w

These parts are scarce enough that I can easily beleive that an NOS part could be worth this much. These rubber bumper strips deteriorate and are hard to come by in good condition used. The threaded steel retainers molded into the strip rust and disintegrate. The Italians used very soft metric philips screws and hardware to hold these in place from the rear. These screws seize into the rubber strip and are a real pain to get out. If you do find good bumper rubber and are fortunate enough to get your old ones off then use stainless steel hardware to put them back on. Some anti seize wouldn't hurt either.

I wouldn't throw away any bad bumper rubber that you may have. There may be a way to rework these to remove the rusted retainers and install something new that will accept the attaching screws. Possibly by attaching stainless steel bolts in their place and using washers and nuts to hold them. I was thinking that windsheild urethane adhesive may work to bond the attaching hardware to the rubber.

Forget trying to get these strips off without taking the entire bumper off. The front and rear bumpers on the TC's are incredibly complex units. Lots of various parts, both large and small make up these bumper assemblies. To do any work on these other than changing light bulbs you need to remove them from the car. This isn't hard to do though I'd suggest having an assistant available to help.

Recently I got a bumper strip restoration tip from a well resected source. If they are craked/checked/tired looking, you can just sand them new again. Yep I thought it was silly sounding but source said since they are solid colored all the way through, start out rough, like 220, then work you way to 400 or so and wet sand the finish to achieve a like new look. I haven't tried it yet but I'm willing:)

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

I have a front bumper strip that has a cut in it. Still in one piece. I understand that it could be repaired. Anyone can have it for $25.00 plus shipping. No hardware with it , just the rubber. It's in good shape other than the cut. PM if interested. Joe47