Advice on refurbishing running board rubber

Guest 40FORDSrule

Guest 40FORDSrule

I am looking for advice on how to refurbish running board rubbers for my 40 fordor. I have scraped off the old rubber. I plan to wire-wheel to bare metal, but wasn't sure if there are better methods. Also, should a coat of primer be applied before replacing the new rubber? Is there any other recommended metal treatment ?

-Rich

Guest dokks6t9

The originals were made by vulcanizing the rubber to the metal. I'm not sure if replacing/glueing on some new rubber will work.. BUT, if you do, where did you find the rubber,lol??? My 40 Olds needs the rubber replaced on both boards, but the cost is too much for me. Back to your question, if you have the boards down to bare metal, I would definately epoxy-prime them.

Guest 1hooligan

Rich, the recovering for the 40 should be available. What I suggest is that after you remove all of the old covering, take the running boards and have them media blasted and power coated. Both sides!!! When you get them back, rough up the top with sand paper, making sure not to sand thru the power coating. this is required so that the adhesive will stick and bond well. coat the top side with the glue that is supplied with the new covers. now coat the underside of the first new cover. let them sit for at least five minutes before you attempt to put them on. make sure the new covers are warm and plyable, ie put them out in the sun until they are nice and plyable. now start with the edge closest to the body, make sure your alignment is correct, then slowly roll the cover down, if possible get a buddy to help, use a wall paper seam roller length wise, to assure that there are no air bubbles as you go. done it been there and it came out well, and when I sold my 39 about seven years later, they were still nice. Pat

Guest bofusmosby

Where can we find a supply for the rubber on the running boards?

On my car, there are some places that the rubber is missing, but for the most part, all the rubber is still there. However, the rubber that is there has cracks running through out it. The rubber is not coming loose, its just cracked. I was thinking of possibly brushing on a coating of rubber epoxy to not only fill in the cracks, but to put rubber back down in the small areas where it is missing. Here is a link to what I am talking about. I don't know if this will work though.

AeroMarine Products- Concrete Mold Making and Stamping Rubber

There is also a video showing the consistancy of the rubber when it is hardened. Here is the video link. AeroMarine Products - 75 Shore A Urethane Rubber I have been using his epoxies for years, doing a restoration on my house. I have never ordered any of this rubber stuff though. I may go ahead and order some, just to give it a try.

Edited by bofusmosby (see edit history)

Guest 1hooligan

I have never tried the liquid rubber noted above from Bofus, so do not know. One of the problems I haved had to deal with is rust under the old rubber, I would suggest starting your search for the running board rubbers in hemmings motor news, then on to the many supplies to the hotrod group.

• 6 months later...
Guest Kattosha
Where can we find a supply for the rubber on the running boards?

On my car, there are some places that the rubber is missing, but for the most part, all the rubber is still there. However, the rubber that is there has cracks running through out it. The rubber is not coming loose, its just cracked. I was thinking of possibly brushing on a coating of rubber epoxy to not only fill in the cracks, but to put rubber back down in the small areas where it is missing. Here is a link to what I am talking about. I don't know if this will work though.

AeroMarine Products- Concrete Mold Making and Stamping Rubber

There is also a video showing the consistancy of the rubber when it is hardened. Here is the video link. AeroMarine Products - 75 Shore A Urethane Rubber I have been using his epoxies for years, doing a restoration on my house. I have never ordered any of this rubber stuff though. I may go ahead and order some, just to give it a try.

What did you do regarding the running boards? I would be interested to know the results

Guest bofusmosby
What did you do regarding the running boards? I would be interested to know the results

Because of other work needed on the car, this had to take a back seat. I still think it will work, but I am not sure if the rubber will dry with a gloss-look to it. I have even thought that if there is a gloss look, then a sander with fine grit sandpaper should remove the gloss. I spoke to the owner of the company about this, and he said that the rubber mix is very thin before it sets. I haven't decided if this would be a good thing, or a bad one.

I am still planning on trying this in the future, but I first must get all the mechanicals of the car working right. When I try this, I will take a lot of before, during and after photos of the process. Unless I am terribly embarrased, I'll be posting them here. With my finances in the condition they are in right now, it may be a while yet.

Rich

I agree with 1Hooligan on the method he has listed above however I am not keen on the powder coating. Having done a few of these in the past I can tell you in my opinion the best method is to have the boards sand blasted and then sand them with 180 paper.

Fill all the hollows with body filler to make sure they are perfect because the rubber covers are very thin and all the defects in the boards will show through the covers.

Clean the back side of the rubber covers with Acetone or similar and then carefully glue them with a good quality contact ahesive. 3M or similar.

Don't paint the boards because the glue will react with the paint over time and let go.

Once the covers are glued on there is no chance of rust starting unless there is a hole in the cover.

Not sure where you are going to get the covers from because Bob Drake has stopping making them as he now makes new bonded rubber boards. These are a very nice product (apart from his name stamped underneath them) but are also very expensive.

1940 Running Boards

David

1923 Metallurgique torpedo

1931 Rolls Royce Phantom 11 Continental

1940 Ford Deluxe Coupe

1947 Mercury Coupe

I am looking for advice on how to refurbish running board rubbers for my 40 fordor. I have scraped off the old rubber. I plan to wire-wheel to bare metal, but wasn't sure if there are better methods. Also, should a coat of primer be applied before replacing the new rubber? Is there any other recommended metal treatment ?

-Rich

Rich, If you want the car to look right, your best bet it to send them to Hunley Acuff. Hunley has the molds for doing running boards on a lot of those cars. He's not cheap, but he does a good quality job. If you intend on point judging the car, he's your man. You can buy the adhesives and the rubber products, but if you intend on keeping the car, Hunley is your man, and his work will be money well spent.

Rich, If you want the car to look right, your best bet it to send them to Hunley Acuff. Hunley has the molds for doing running boards on a lot of those cars. He's not cheap, but he does a good quality job. If you intend on point judging the car, he's your man. You can buy the adhesives and the rubber products, but if you intend on keeping the car, Hunley is your man, and his work will be money well spent.

Ditto what ex98thdrill said...Web site for you:

Hunley Acuff Runningboards