transmission fluid levels

Guest barra

Guest barra

The transmission was down almost 2 quarts. There are no leaks and there is no transmission fluid appearing in the radiator over flow.

I had some extra whining at the 2150 rpm level before the transmission changed to the next higher gear. Also, in cruise on level highway at 53 mph at 1525 rpms the car just shuddered for an instant and the rpms dropped to 1500. The cruise speed remained the same. Is that the effect of having less fluid in the transmission?

Should I be using high mileage Dextron III transmission fluid in the car? It has almost 108,000 miles on it.

Remove the hose from the modulator valve and look for transmission fluid there. If you find any fluid replace the modulator valve. If he modulator valve is bad fluid can be sucked into the engine and burned. Transmission whine is due to low fluid level.

Guest barra

The vacuum modulator was replaced a month ago. The mechanic checked everything last night and concluded that he had not filled the transmission completely when he did the work. I still have a bit of whine just before the transmission upshifts but not as much as before. I hope all is well with the transmission. Thank you for your response and your knowledge.

The whine should go away when all the air (due to low fluid level causing cavitation) gets out of the system.

You should give your mechanic a tongue lashing for failing to fill the transmission properly. There is no excuse for overlooking something as basic as getting the correct amount of fluid in the transmission.

• 2 years later...
Guest beauchase

How many quarts of transmission fluid to fill a pan drop? I dropped the pan on our 1990 Reatta and am having a very difficult time getting constant dip stick readings. Advance told me 6 quarts with the pan drop. I am at 5.25 quarts and 24oz of Lucas Transmission fix. I do not feel good about the readings I am getting but am scared to add any more for fear of over filling. Please help

Guest beauchase

How many quarts of transmission fluid to fill a pan drop? I dropped the pan on our 1990 Reatta and am having a very difficult time getting constant dip stick readings. Advance told me 6 quarts with the pan drop. I am at 5.25 quarts and 24oz of Lucas Transmission fix. I do not feel good about the readings I am getting but am scared to add any more for fear of over filling. Please help

To make it easy after you have added some fluid, let the car sit for a little while to let excess fluid drain out of the dipstick tube so it doesn't coat the dipstick with fluid each time you put it in.

1. Then start the engine and let it warm up so the idle is at normal speed. Before checking the fluid move the transmission selector lever from drive to reverse several times. This helps purge air from the system.

2. Now you should get an accurate reading of the fluid level. Be sure you push the dip stick all the way in when checking the fluid. If you can see fluid on the stick, only add a few ounces at a time until you are just below the full mark.

If the fluid is really low and you don't see any fluid on the stick, repeat step 1 above (moving the transmission from drive to reverse several times) before checking the fluid again.

3. Once you have the fluid up near the full mark. Drive the car and check the fluid again. The fluid level will come up a little when the transmission gets warm.

Do NOT overfill.

Sometimes when checking the fluid after you add fluid, you will smear fluid on the dipstick when you put it back into the transmission. This is usually noticable that the reading on one side of the dipstick is higher than the other by maybe 1/2 - 3/4 inch.

You need to wait after adding fluid to allow the fluid in the fill tube to drain into the transmission and get a good reading

Guest beauchase

I bit the bullet the other night even while fearing that I may over fill the transmission and began to add additional fluid. The end result is that at 6.5 quarts I am able to get consistent readings in the crosshairs of my dipstick. There must be an external transmission fluid cooler on the vehicle for it to hold more than the 6 quarts indicated by Advance Auto with the pan drop service I did on June 3. It could hold another 4 oz. but is not necessary. Keeping a close eye on it.